EU:Ford cuts workforce at Volvo Cars 5.3% - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 06:06   #1 (permalink)

EU:Ford cuts workforce at Volvo Cars 5.3%

Ford cuts workforce at Volvo Cars 5.3%

BY CHAD THOMAS

BLOOMBERG

Ford Motor Co. is eliminating 5.3% of the workforce at its Volvo Cars division to reduce spending and boost earnings.

The automaker will eliminate 1,470 positions, primarily in Sweden and Belgium, out of a total workforce of 27,500 people, Gothenburg, Sweden-based Volvo Cars said Monday.

"We have to reduce the number of employees we have in order to be more effective in the future," Christer Gustafsson, a Volvo spokesman, said in an interview. "We are reviewing all cost-driving areas within the company."

The cuts at Volvo come on top of a worldwide reduction Ford announced Oct. 20 of 10,000 positions by year-end through attrition and eliminating jobs. The Volvo reductions are not part of that plan, Gustafsson said.

Sales by the Ford brand in Europe fell 3.5% in the first nine months of the year to 998,436 vehicles. Including the company's Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin brands, sales fell 3.3% to 1.29 million vehicles.

Worldwide sales of Volvo-brand vehicles fell 1.5% to 373,798 units in the 10 months ended Oct. 31, Gustafsson said. In Europe, the company's sales fell 0.9% to 205,392 vehicles, reports the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.

Ford doesn't provide details on earnings or revenue for Volvo. The Premier Automotive Group, Ford's luxury car division, reported a pretax loss of $108 million for the third quarter.

Volvo will eliminate 1,020 jobs in Sweden, 720 of which are permanent positions within the company and 300 are temporary consulting and services jobs, the automaker said. The remaining 450 job cuts will come at Volvo's assembly plant in Belgium.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News