EU:Ford, PSA boost production of diesel engines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2004, 13:37   #1 (permalink)

EU:Ford, PSA boost production of diesel engines

Ford, PSA boost production of diesel engines

Reuters

PARIS -- Ford Motor Co. and PSA Peugeot Citroen said on Thursday they plan to increase production of their jointly developed diesel motors, prompted by strong demand.

The two firms said in a statement they planned to increase production of 1.4- and 1.6-liter engines at Ford's Dagenham plant in Britain from 2007, and up production of 2.0-liter engines at the Volvo engine plant in Sweden from 2006.

Ford and PSA have been collaborating on diesel engine design and production since 1998.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 14:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: EU:Ford, PSA boost production of diesel engines

Ford to increase workforce at Dagenham in drive for diesel

Mark Milner
The Guardian

Ford is to invest £169m in its manufacturing facility at Dagenham to boost diesel engine output in a move that could create up to 460 new jobs.
The investment is being backed by a £4.5m grant from the Department of Trade and Industry and means Dagenham will be capable of producing about a million diesel engines a year by 2007.

The London Development Agency and the Learning & Skills Council will contribute another £13m towards training costs.

"Dagenham won this investment in the face of stiff competition from other Ford engine plants round the world," said the chairman of Ford in Britain, Roger Putnam.

Ford and its partner in hi-tech diesel engine production, the French carmaker PSA, are expanding their diesel range to take advantage of growing demand.

According to the latest figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, diesel has taken a growing share of the UK car market every month for the past four years.

In Europe one in three cars is now powered by a diesel engine but Ford believes that by 2006 the percentage will have risen to 50% - or 8 million cars.

"The days of sticking a truck engine in a car body has long gone. Diesel engines are quiet and economic, not noisy and smelly. They are an advantage to a great many road users," a Ford spokesman said.

Though Ford no longer makes cars at Dagenham, the plant currently produces around 600,000 diesel engines as well as body stampings and employs about 5,000 people. Ford also produces petrol engines at its plant in Bridgend.

The trade and industry secretary, Patricia Hewitt, said yesterday: "This great news demonstrates the government's commitment to high-value automotive manufacturing."

Amicus's national officer, Tony Murphy, said: "The unions and the company have been working jointly for years to secure this grant to build diesel engines.

"This investment project will create quality manufacturing jobs and guarantees the future of Dagenham for years to come," he said.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News