EU:Ford to Use Jaguar Parts in More Cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2004, 16:23   #1 (permalink)

EU:Ford to Use Jaguar Parts in More Cars

Ford to Use Jaguar Parts in More Cars, Under Pressure for Higher Profits From Luxury Brands

The Auto Channel

PARIS; The AP reported that Ford Motor Co., under pressure to deliver higher profits from its luxury brands, is planning to make its British luxury brand Jaguar share more components and technologies with other luxury units, a senior company executive told The Wall Street Journal.

Ford also aims to more than triple the number of Aston Martins it sells over the next three years.

Another of the company's British units, Land Rover, plans to roll out a new sport-utility vehicle next year that company officials describe as "more sporty" than Land Rover's traditional offerings.

In an interview a week after the company cut more than 1,000 jobs in England at its Jaguar and Land Rover units, Ford's senior executive in Europe, Mark Fields, said he continues to believe the company's European luxury brands will help Ford meet its previously-stated goal of delivering a third of the company's profits by mid-decade.

But Fields said he doesn't expect a quick turnaround in Jaguar's U.S. sales, which have declined sharply this year.

"We won't be growing our business significantly in the U.S. in the near term," Fields said. In Jaguar, "we have a great brand but a lousy business." He declined to make a more specific forecast.

Fields also declined to rule out the possibility of more job cuts. "If we have to do more, we will, but at this point, we don't plan to" cut more jobs.

Fields said the company also doesn't plan to drop its slow-selling small sedan, the X-type, which he said "has helped us expand the reach of the brand." But he said Jaguar has "lots of opportunities" to share more components and technologies with its sister brands in Ford's Premier Automotive Group.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 06:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: EU:Ford to Use Jaguar Parts in More Cars

Ford to focus on shared parts

By James Mackintosh in Athens
Financial Times

Ford Motor is to share basic components between its European large cars and models from Volvo and Mazda, after an experiment with common parts for small cars saved almost $200m from annual production costs and reduced investment by $65m.

The company is also considering how far Jaguar, its loss making luxury brand, should be included in the project, which is called Global Shared Technologies. Past attempts to save money by producing Jaguars using the platforms that underlie the Ford Mondeo and a US Lincoln model have resulted in criticism of the resulting cars.

Mark Fields, head of Ford's European operations, said the company had started work on a suite of systems that would be used as the base for the replacement for the Volvo S80 and the Mondeo large saloons. Mazda engineers are also involved, and the Mazda 6, Mazda MPV and the Ford Galaxy minibus are all likely to be based on the same set of technology. He said: “We have got to leverage the scale of Ford Motor Company.”

Ford, in common with other carmakers, retreated from attempts to build cars from common platforms after they resulted in different brands producing similar cars. The Jaguar X-Type was particularly criticised for being based on the Ford Mondeo, which meant that it could not have rear-wheel drive.

As a result the company is cautious about whether to include the X-Type in the new development, fearing that the replacement for Jaguar's highest-volume car could again be tainted by the “sales rep” image of the Mondeo.

“The Jaguar has to be authentic,” said one former senior Ford executive. “Any hint that a Jag is based on a Ford and you havegot problems with the customer.”

The company has also avoided including the US at the core of the sharing plans, fearing that extending collaboration so far would slow the project and result in too many design compromises.

But the company believes its new approach sharing technologies but not the restrictions of common underbodies has produced distinctive cars that handle differently while also providing economies of scale.

The first application of the shared technology approach was with the Ford Focus in Europe, which shares up to 70 per cent of parts with the C-Max people carrier and more than half of its components with the similarly-sized Volvo S40 and the Mazda 3.

“We have a Volvo S40 that drives, looks and feels like a Volvo,” Mr Fields said. “We have the Ford C-Max that is aligned with Ford and we have a Mazda that is definitely a Mazda.”

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News