Ford Forums banner

F Type

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  the_cat 
#1 ·
Jaguar's F-Type sports car, first shown as a traditional front-engined, rear-wheel drive car, is to be mid-engined. The mechanical layout of project X600, as it is known internally, has been reconfigured in order to provide the highest standards of handling, roadholding and driver entertainment, and to differentiate it more completely from the bigger front-engined XK8, whose replacement will have appeared before X600 goes on sale in three to four years. The mid-engine layout will also distinguish the car from the small Aston Martin sports car, AM 305, currently under development - ironically this car started life as a mid-engine machine, but switched to a classical front-engine, rear-drive layout part way through development. Given that Jaguar and Aston are part of the same group, it is conceivable that the Coventry company picked up the mid-engined design when Aston abandoned it. The F-Type was originally shown as a concept car with a front-mounted engine driving the rear wheels, as per the E-Type. Though well-liked by the public, this car was criticised in some quarters for being too retro and unadventurous.
Power for the F-Type will come from the 201 bhp 2.5 litre, 240 bhp 3.0 litre and a new 3.0 supercharged V6, and there is likely to be a choice of manual transmission and paddle-shift semi-automatic. Jaguar is known to be targeting the Porsche Boxster, which it considers to be the most competent and entertaining comparable sports car currently on sale. Though a bigger car, Jaguar insiders also rate the ageing Honda NSX for its handling, engine note and ease of driving.
Meanwhile Jaguar is readying its replacement for the XJ8, for its world debut at the Paris motor show this September, although the car will not be going on sale until the very end of this year at the earliest. The XJ replacement is notable for its body construction, which is entirely of aluminium, like that of its rival the Audi A8. The object is weight-saving, benefiting fuel consumption, performance and agility. Engines will include a 240 bhp 3.0 V6, the new 300 bhp 4.2 V8 recently launched in the S Type, and the supercharged 4.2, its power possibly raised from the 400 bhp of the S Type to 450 bhp. Eventually, a V6 turbodiesel developed in collaboration with Peugeot and Ford will be available too.
Jaguar is also considering a high performance X-Type R, although the scale of its current engineering workload may preclude the development - the company is presently developing the XJ8 replacement, the X600 sports car, a replacement for the XK8 and a range of diesel engines.

See less See more
#4 ·
They are not getting it together they a BLOWING IT!! The original idea was the XK180; it was time and it was HOT. Then redesign F Type - maybe the 4.0 supercharged engine !! again hot !! But no wait wait wait - Now the coming Miata copied the F Type body style ~~` . and still no F Type - Now maybe mid engine !! Maybe = no decisions, no product - time is a waistin boys get going. The Viper came out in record time, you need to get with the times and produce, not just dream. I still think an XK180 would have been Killer!!
the_cat (63Ecoupe, 60 MkII sedan, 76 XJ6,)= gone ( 88XJSV12 convert., 99XK8 coupe )= still have :')

#7 ·
No use rushing it and putting out a lemon, particularily important with a presige marque such as Jaguar.

#8 ·
The difference between men & boys is HOW MANY SPARK PLUGS YOU OWN ! hahahahahah
they have to be in running condition in a cylinder to be counted!!
I've got 61 !

Any you can dream forever and that doesn't count either when creating cars - you need to produce One !! Eventually you need to make your move, oh I want to be like an NSX, Oh I want to be like a Boxter, Oh I want to be like a M3 bla bla bla ( here's my body style if you want to copie it while I think about it for 5 more years) - Just Build a Jag !! and let it stand on its own!! Jag needs a King Of the Road, not a wanna be this or that. Go back where it started; compete with Porsche & Corvette. Build a modern "D-Type" or XK13 . Race the thing! Give us a race car we can identify with and run on the street , not some mega $$ F1 fancy man game. Corvette & Viper can do it why can't Ford/Jaguar??
my 2c the_cat (sorry to vent )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.