Ford Forums banner

Falcon Fantastic at Sydney's Eastern Creek

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LunaticSVT 
#1 ·
Pirtek Racing’s Marcos Ambrose has led home a Ford one-two-three at the third round of the V8 Supercar Series at Sydney’s Eastern Creek.

Ambrose finished ahead of Ford Performance Racing’s Craig Lowndes with Stone Brothers Racing team-mate Russell Ingall (Caltex Havoline Racing) third.

It was Ford’s first clean-sweep of the podium since Eastern Creek 1997 (Glenn Seton, John Bowe and Dick Johnson). That was also the last time the Blue Oval took overall honours at the Sydney circuit.

The victory was Ford’s first back-to-back win since 2001, when Ambrose won in Darwin, Shell Helix Racing’s Steven Johnson took victory in Canberra and his team-mate Paul Radisich took the round in Perth.

The result was Ford’s second round win from three events, and has already equalled last year’s total of round wins for the Blue Oval.

Ambrose made the most of his pole position to streak away from the field from the first turn. From that point on he controlled the race through the 77-lap journey.

Even when a safety car was called onto the circuit at lap #49 while he was 21 seconds ahead, Ambrose remained unfazed.

With lapped cars in between at the re-start, the Tasmanian once again streaked away to score his first win of the season and third of his career.

“For me the best thing is to have an all-Falcon podium – awesome,” said Ambrose.

“The car was a rocket, the team was perfect and when you have those two key elements your confidence is sky high.

“I knew that a good start was key and from there we controlled the race. It’s such a good feeling to be in that position.

“The BA is getting better and better, and I can’t fault my team, they just want success after success and I’m keen to keep this thing rolling along.

“Our opening two rounds weren’t great for our championship challenge, but now we are back on track and with another ten events to go, it’s going to be a great run to the title.”

Following his round win at Phillip Island, Craig Lowndes was delighted to back it up with second place.

Lowndes was in a strong position early in the race, running second to Ambrose after battling his way past Greg Murphy. Then after the round of pit stops he had to challenge Jason Bright in the run to the flag. The Ford Performance Racing star getting past on lap #75 of #77.

Rounding out the treble, Ingall battled his way from ninth on the grid to pass Greg Murphy and then Bright on the final lap.

“We won at Phillip Island through strategy and our position today was also thanks to good team work,” said Lowndes.

“Most teams put on fuel first before taking tyres, while we went the other way round. This was to give us a fast car on the lighter fuel in the middle stages so that we could stretch the opposition.

“Even after putting the fuel back into the car, the tyres were still pretty good and that was important in the closing stages.

“We really worked on having a strong race package throughout this weekend, and to qualify so far up I knew we had a chance today.

“Even when Bright got ahead of us in the pit stops I knew that we could challenge, the only car I thought we couldn’t was Marcos.

“We’ve gone to fifth in the championship, which has been my best start since joining Ford. Along with the team, I’m pumped and I hope we have more battles throughout the rest of the year with Marcos, Russell and all the Ford teams.”

Following a disappointing run in the top-10 shootout yesterday, Ingall set about a charge in today’s race.

The sights of the Caltex Havoline Racing Falcon passing Murphy and then Bright in the final laps had the packed main grandstand at Eastern Creek on their feet.

“I knew that once I got passed Murphy I could catch the battle between Craig and Bright,” said Ingall.

“I kept my patience, and once Craig made the move into second I knew I could follow.

“The emotions at the end from our team and all the Ford fans was amazing, I hope we can have plenty of that.

“We’re all delighted for Ford, but this result does make the opposition even more hungry. But we’re up to the challenge and I’m keen to get my name on a winners trophy pretty quickly.”

Ford will chase three straight wins at Victoria’s Winton Raceway on May 25.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.