India:Ford to launch Fiesta sedan in India in November - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 18:07   #1 (permalink)

India:Ford to launch Fiesta sedan in India in November

Ford to launch Fiesta sedan in India in November

Reuters

MUMBAI, India -- Ford Motor Co. will debut a new midsize car in India in November, aimed at cornering a larger share of the fast-growing segment, its country head said on Wednesday.

The new Fiesta, which will be positioned as a premium midsize car, will be available with petrol and diesel engines and will grow Ford's share of the midsize segment significantly, the managing director and president of Ford India said.

"This model strengthens our portfolio in India and positions us to compete more aggressively," Arvind Mathew told reporters in a teleconference, declining to say how the car will be priced.

A team of Indian engineers worked with product development teams from the UK, Germany and Australia on the project, he said.

Ford, which began operations in India in 1995, assembles the Ikon sedan, Fusion mid-size and Endeavour sports utility at its plant just outside the southern city of Chennai. It also imports the fully built Mondeo saloon.

"In choosing to debut the car in India, we are really reaffirming our commitment to the country," Mathew said.

The Detroit-based car maker's subsidiary sold about 27,000 cars locally last year, and exported nearly 24,000 Ikons to South Africa and Latin America. The company expects its domestic sales and exports this year to be comparable to last year.

The Asia-Pacific region accounts for around 7 percent of the company's global Ford brand sales.

Higher fuel prices and new technologies in diesel engines will lead to a stronger demand for cars fitted with diesel engines, Mathew said. The company expects at least 40 percent of the Fiesta sales to be in the diesel engine category.

"We expect to have our hands more than full meeting the demand of the domestic market for the Fiesta and are not looking to export the car to start with," Mathew said.

The company added a second shift at its plant last year to nearly double capacity to 50,000 units a year. Capacity can be upped to 100,000 units if required, Mathew said, adding that it was not looking to enter the dominant small car segment.

Leader Maruti Udyog, Hyundai Motor Co. and Tata Motors are the lead players in the small car segment, which makes up more than two-thirds of the market.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 05:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: India:Ford to launch Fiesta sedan in India in November

Global Ford Fiesta debuts in India

Autoindex.org

Ford India has issued the following press release:

A new Fiesta developed globally and destined for the subcontinent breaks cover in India today.

Designed and engineered by a team of Ford Australia, Ford India, and European designers and engineers, it is set to revolutionise the Indian market.

Using the nameplate of its successful European cousin, the new Fiesta will position Ford to compete more aggressively in India when it launches in November this year.

"The new Ford Fiesta for India was developed using the disciplines of Ford's global shared technologies," said Ford Australia Vice President of Product Development Trevor Worthington.

"Designers and engineers in Australia worked in very close concert with their colleagues in India and Europe. Importantly, this truly global car was thoroughly researched and developed with the needs and wants of Indian consumers at front of mind."

The new Ford Fiesta features distinctive exterior styling, contemporary interiors, an exciting range of colours and a host of class leading technologies, including a choice of either a Duratec petrol or Duratorq TDCi diesel engine.

"The reveal of the new Fiesta is an exciting time for the product development team at Ford Australia," said Worthington.

"Working with our counterparts around the world, we have provided a complete design and engineering service, from styling and packaging to full engineering, testing and validation.

"The team targeted class-leading attributes of package, dynamics and styling, based on an existing architecture, and fine-tuned with the expertise we developed on Falcon and Territory. Once further details of the new Fiesta are revealed closer to its launch in November, the team's achievement of these attributes will be confirmed."

Equally importantly for Ford Australia, the additional design and engineering work required for the Fiesta and other projects allows a better spread of resources for the company.

"Great design and engineering staff are hard to find," said Worthington.

"When you do find them, they can be hard to retain because the cyclical nature of this industry can mean huge peaks and troughs in engineering and design requirements. Projects such as the new Fiesta mean that the talent we have developed through work on Falcon and Territory can be further developed and deployed across other projects.

"Once we might have lost talented people simply because of the cyclic nature of our own engineering requirements. Now we have expanded our pool of highly trained people and given them additional variety and challenge in working across a wider range of products and customer requirements."

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News