Jag’s grocery getter: - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 06:32   #1 (permalink)

Jag’s grocery getter:

Automaker preparing its first-ever factory-built station wagon

By JULIAN RENDELL/AutoWeek 12-12-02

Ford-owned Jaguar is readying an X-Type wagon that will borrow heavily from its sedan sibling.
Jaguar will launch its first-ever factory-built station wagon by late 2003 as a 2004 model. Based on the X-Type sedan, which shares its platform with the Ford Mondeo sold in Europe, the wagon gets the same all-wheel drive and V6 choices as the sedan.

Designed by Ian Callum’s Coventry-based team, engineering of the wagon body has been handed over to Pininfarina of Italy to take pressure off Jag’s hard-pressed engineers. Rear doors are carried over from the sedan. The rear hatch features raked styling and the same rear overhang as the sedan to preserve a sporty rather than load-lugger look.

Ford will leave the big-wagon role to Premier Automotive Group partner Volvo with its V70, so the X-Type wagon’s interior load volume won’t be huge. Look for cargo space akin to competitors such as the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class wagons.

The wagon is fitted with a separately hinged window on the hatch, rear split-fold seats and a safety net to keep luggage and passengers separate. Sources report considerable attention has been paid to details inside the cargo bay.

The prototype, disguised to suggest a BMW rather than a Jaguar, conceals taillights and a rear bumper that are reportedly “more contemporary” than the sedan’s, setting the tone for an X-Type facelift in 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1111-ltjag.jpeg (20.5 KB, 297 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News