Ford Forums banner

New Edge Cougar 35th Aniv. and last hurra

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bobnoxious 
#1 ·
I wonder what the added suspension and new manifold will result in on the street. Found this article.

CHICAGO, Feb. 6, 2001 -- Since its introduction 35 years ago, the Mercury Cougar has showcased exhilarating driving characteristics and a unique style that make it a classic in its own right. Today, Mercury introduced a 35th Anniversary Edition Cougar at the Chicago Auto Show to celebrate 35 years of superior performance and sleek design.

Equipped with Cougar’s standard V-6 engine, the anniversary edition 2002 model offers an upgraded suspension system and new exhaust manifold for better performance and handling. In addition to black clearcoat paint, the 35th Anniversary Edition Cougar offers three colors, including new Satin Silver, Laser Red and French Blue. A unique 35th Anniversary Edition emblem is featured throughout the vehicle, including the steering wheel airbag cover, quarter glass, front door sill plate, floor mats and available black leather seats with silver inserts, making it a real head turner.

“Cougar customers are always looking for exciting, fresh new vehicles that reflect their different personalities,” said Elena Ford, Mercury Group Brand Manager. “With premium handling attributes and a surprising level of standard features, the 35th Anniversary Edition Cougar offers consumers a sporty, one-of-a-kind vehicle.”

The anniversary Cougar comes equipped with a color-keyed Roush hood scoop and tailgate spoiler and new for this vehicle are 17-inch chromed wheels and center caps that match the new chromed outside rear view mirrors. Other styling upgrades include a Cougar head emblazoned on the front windshield and on the backlight glass, and the Cougar name is spelled out across the rear decklid. In addition, the V6 badge will be moved from the decklid to the two front fenders just below the new clear side marker lamp. Black leather seats with silver inserts also will be available.

Available in May 2002, the 35th Anniversary Edition Cougar option will have an MSRP of $19,490 including destination and delivery. Production is limited to 3,000. The Mercury Cougar is manufactured in Flat Rock, Mich.

See less See more
#6 ·
I hear you! I am thinking that the modified suspension was done by ST200 struts. I bought some that were sould to Bat by Ford when the Cougar S/ST200 in Europe were canceled. My stock Cougar handled the Autocross in Houston very well. I was one second behind a 96 Cobra on my fastest lap. I know it is more the driver than the car, but a good handleing car helps alot. I have also bought a 24mm rear sway bar. Hopeing to get my struts and sway bar on by summer with some new tires. Then hit the AutoX. Mercury still lists the HP as 170, but it says there is a new modified exhaust manifold. I am sure it wouldn't add to much HP but there should be some increase. I have only put an intake and cat back exhaust on mine because I have a warrenty through 75, 000 miles and headers would make it hard to get any work done under warranty. If I add Ford/Mercury parts it would still be covered and a free flowing exhaust manifold would increase the gains on my Intake/Exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.