Ford Forums banner

Review: 2003 Ford Focus SVT

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  RPO83 
#1 ·
Review: 2003 Ford SVT Focus

The Ford SVT Focus is in the tradition of the best pocket rockets -- the Nissan NX2000, Mazda MX-3, VW Rabbit GTi.

Compare it to any other under-$20K hatchback today and it's the clear winner. Yes, an American company's small car is best on the planet.

And it continues the enviable production record of Ford's Special Vehicles Team (SVT), which has yet to produce anything short of an outstanding product (Lightning, Cobra, SVT Contour).

Let's begin discussion with what's under the hood. On paper, 170 horses doesn't overwhelm. In the real world, overwhelming isn't the word of choice either. This isn't the biggest, baddest car on the planet. But if you're looking today for what is called "bang for the buck" -- stop looking. This is it.

The SVT Focus weighs in at 2,750 pounds, not exactly a featherweight, but not hefty either. When the horsepower is applied to the weight, the Focus manages to scoot 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds. In a small car, which the Focus certainly is, the feeling is a rush. It feels quicker than it is.

Torque steer can be felt but does not wrestle control from the driver.

The four-cylinder engine has a cast-iron block with aluminum head and is a thing of beauty to behold. It puts 61 percent of the car's weight over the front wheels, which is okay since these wheels drive, steer and are largely responsible for stopping the car.

The exhaust manifold is specially tuned and even the exhaust note has a raspy buzz much beloved by the young set. Best of all perhaps is the 7,200 rpm redline.

Under 4,000 rpm, though, the Focus feels much as any other four-cylinder (something also true of Honda's remarkable S2000). Rev past 4,000 and hang on. This is the first North American engine with variable valve timing and the payoff is oomph at higher rpm.

If the name Cosworth means anything to you -- think racing fame -- then note that Cosworth designers helped with this engine.

Famous names continue when the transmission is considered. As with top BMWs, etc., this easy-shifting six-speed unit is from famed German maker Getrag. If you're not impressed by names, then you need to know only that the transmission and clutch are terrific. Shifts are short and crisp and the clutch does not weary the left leg.

The suspension got a lot of attention and the payoff is notable. There are MacPherson struts up front and a multilink setup for the rear. Everything has been stiffened and strengthened, but never once did the Focus punish those inside with a rough ride. In a series of tests done by a magazine -- brace yourself -- the SVT Focus ran a standard slalom course faster than a Corvette Z06, a BMW M3 and the much-beloved Subaru WRX. I never, never came close to the limit with the SVT Focus. You turn, it hugs the road and executes your intentions through 17-inch Continental tires.

But even more important to me, the car stopped from 60 mph in 118 feet! Now that's hauling in the right direction.

What it adds up is the elusive perfect balance we seek in a vehicle. Zero to 60 loses its appeal if the ride is rough. G-force cornering figures become less meaningful if the brakes can't be modulated or fade on repeated stops. And the whole package is earth-unfriendly if fuel inefficiency slurps petroleum at an expensive rate.

Not the SVT Focus. It scores in all important considerations and is easy to drive, to boot.

So let's step inside this little performer.

Note that the door handles are the proper bar design. Open the front door and plop down. The seats are nicely supportive, for both lateral stability and lumbar support. I did not exit this one with a backache. The seats feature a two-tone color scheme that isn't distracting with wild patterns that look better on drapes hung in double-wide trailers.

In front of the driver are black-on-white instruments, with oil pressure and oil temp gauges set apart to the right. These instruments are nicely visible day or night.

On the floor are drilled metal pedals with rubber inserts. But the rubber is not knurled or roughened in any way and my first drive of the Focus was marred by leather-soled shoes slipping off these pedals. These need additional gripping consideration, since we don't all wear racing shoes to work.

Cruise control is easy to engage from buttons on the steering wheel. The shifter is within easy reach. Everything seems ergonomically correct (but the instruments do reflect in the driver's side window at night).

Reserve some of the strongest praise for the steering. The suspension assures that the SVT Focus has that coveted always-in-contact-with-the-road feeling, but reworked steering means this little car never drifts. On the interstate, at high speed, the SVT Focus centered perfectly, not requiring frequent steering adjustments. It was far better than the three-times-as-expensive Lincoln Town Car tested not long ago. And a special thanks for a four-spoke steering wheel that made resting a hand at the bottom possible.

Around town, a 34-foot turning radius makes parking or tight turning a snap.

The midnight black paint remained attractive through test week, and seems more suited to this mean little performer than any other paint color offered.

IImportant to young buyers will be the Monsoon stereo/CD setup that added $675 to the base price. This is called the Audiophile package, and, yes, you can shake your bass with this. Thumpa, thumpa I'm not into, but the sound quality was superb. The unit could store six CDs in dash.

The only other option on the test SVT Focus was a $595 moonroof that is skip-it in my book. Opened, it created too much wind noise. Lowering the right window all the way also created some strange wind noise. The driver's side window did not create a similar noise problem.

Now, one reason for having a hatchback is utility. Pop that hatchback and you're greeted with decent cargo space in a compact car. That was true of the SVT Focus. As the hatch raised, it took up a shelf that hides valuables from view with the hatchback closed.

In a week that saw more than 600 miles put on this tester, no serious flaw was found. It became one of those rare "keepers", a car I'd personally buy and own. Not so much for its performance, but for its balance of all important considerations. Morning after morning, I approached this car and my 45-minute commute with a smile. The smile is rare. It's generated by anticipated fun. A pox on boring vehicles! This one is fun. Every day.

Skip the hole in the roof and you can buy one of these for less than $19,000.

There's a reason the Ford Focus is the top global car, and the SVT Focus deserves to be the top pocket rocket on the planet. Test it and you'll learn why.

Source: thecarplace.com
Robert C. Bowden

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.