Russia:Strike at Ford Averted as Demands Reviewed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 06:18   #1 (permalink)

Russia:Strike at Ford Averted as Demands Reviewed

Strike at Ford Averted as Demands Reviewed

The Moscow Times

The union representing workers at Ford's St. Petersburg plant said on Tuesday that it was holding off on strike action as the newly appointed management reviewed its demands.

Late last month, the union threatened to strike if workers were not granted a 30 percent pay hike and other concessions.

Ford is planning to almost double production at its Russian plant to 60,000 units beginning next year. The boost in output is putting additional pressure on the plant's workers, according to the union.

After making its initial threat of a strike in late September, the union was told by management that the plant's entire work force -- and not just the union -- should back the demands. Over the weekend, 77 delegates representing 1,058 of the plant's 1,700 employees approved the demands, leader Alexei Etmanov said.

On Monday, they were resubmitted to management, which by law has three days to respond, he said.

Etmanov said workers were hoping to reach a compromise with the new leadership.

Last week, Theo Streit, a native of Germany, took over from Australian Murray Gilbert as the plant's general director. Gilbert jumpstarted Ford's Russia operations in 1999.

Streit was not available for comment Tuesday.

"The Ford plant's management is looking forward to a positive and constructive dialogue with our employees," said Ekaterina Kulinenko, the company's spokeswoman.

Streit "knew how to communicate with the trade unions" at his previous jobs, Etmanov said.

But if the new management does not budge on the workers' demands, then a mediator will have to step in to settle the disagreement, Etmanov said.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News