U.K.:Ford denies responsibility for headless cat ad - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 05:09   #1 (permalink)

U.K.:Ford denies responsibility for headless cat ad

Ford denies responsibility for headless cat ad

Channel4

Ford has been keen to tap into the possibilities of e-mail-based viral marketing, but has come under fire this week for a distasteful short video clip which appears to be advertising the SportKa, "the Ka's evil twin." Ford was criticized last year for a clip which showed a pigeon being hit by the car's bonnet, but this latest clip has caused even more of a controversy amongst animal protection groups. The computer-generated animation shows a ginger cat getting decapitated by the car's sunroof before its headless body slides down the bonnet. Ford has, however, been quick to stress that the clip is not an authorized ad, but something put together by the creative team at its ad agency, Ogilvy & Mather.

A statement issued today says that the clip "was specifically rejected by Ford and Ogilvy. The clip was not released, but has been leaked over the internet. We at Ford Motor Company find this unofficial 'advertisement' totally unacceptable and reprehensible, and have briefed UK animal welfare organisations. A full investigation has been ordered by Ford and Ogilvy to determine how this unapproved material found its way into the public domain. The action in the video clip was totally computer-generated, and we would like to assure customers that no animal was harmed in its making."

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 14:13   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: U.K.:Ford denies responsibility for headless cat ad

I want to see this thing. I read about it in Financial Times on Friday. It is blowing up in Fords face in Europe. Something that good ole GP may have to deal with now that he is there.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I've seen it. The cat walks around the car and the car automatically opens the sun roof. The cats walks up on the roof and looks in the sunroof. The car then automatically closes the sunroof which cuts off the cats head. The head falls inside the car and the body slides down the bonnet. StreetKa - the Ka's evil twin then flashes up on the screen. Quite a clever ad.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

i have it and it was ok.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 22:49   #5 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

i got emailed it its great i recon
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 22:41   #6 (permalink)

Ford says the video for the Ford Sportka, a hatchback sold in Europe, was created without its approval by ad agency Ogilvy & Mather for a "viral marketing" campaign.

Ford Web ad upsets pet lovers

'Unauthorized' spot shows an animated cat being decapitated

By Nick Bunkley / The Detroit News

DEARBORN — A 39-second Internet commercial that Ford Motor Co. says it never meant to release is circling the globe through e-mails, appalling pet lovers with its depiction of a cat being decapitated.

The ad for the Ford Sportka, a hatchback sold in Europe, shows an animated but realistic-looking orange tabby cat climbing on top of the car and curiously poking its head into the open moonroof.

The moonroof slides closed and the cat struggles briefly to escape before its headless body slides to the ground.

Ford says the clip was conceived without its approval by ad agency Ogilvy & Mather as part of a “viral marketing” campaign for the Sportka, billed as the Ford Ka’s “evil twin.”

Companies can get widespread exposure for little money through viral marketing. Ads are posted online in the hopes that Web users will find them funny or entertaining and e-mail them to friends.

But as Ford has learned, once released the ads are out of anybody’s control and can float in cyberspace indefinitely.

“It replicates itself, and anything that is controversial is what’s likely to be shipped around the world,” said Sam Fullerton, who heads the department of marketing at Eastern Michigan University’s business school.

Fullerton has received the clip through e-mail several times, from as far away as New Zealand.

“It’s definitely created a buzz,” he said. “Some people argue that any buzz is good, but I don’t necessarily adhere to that philosophy.”

Ford did like another ad showing a cartoon pigeon getting a fatal whack from the Sportka’s hood and released it online last September.

The cat clip began circulating online several weeks ago, prompting Ford to apologize and begin investigating how it leaked out.

“We find this unauthorized ad totally unacceptable and reprehensible and deplore the fact that it has been unofficially issued,” Ford spokesman Oscar Suris said.

Ford is not the first company accused of sacrificing a cat in the name of Internet publicity.

Last year, cell phone maker Nokia denied responsibility for a clip showing a cat being spun around and flung into a wall after snaring its paw on the dangling cord of a ceiling fan.

The ad, for a camera phone sold in Australia, had been proposed by an outside agency and was immediately rejected, Nokia said.

“You don’t want to make fun of something like that,” said Evie Woods of Ferndale, a receptionist at Greenfield Animal Hospital in Southfield, who was shocked when she heard about the Sportka’s apparent hatred for felines.

“They definitely acted in poor taste. Luckily, I’m a Honda girl.”

My next Ford.....
Old 04-26-2004, 03:56   #7 (permalink)

It certainly is a funny ad. one of the best i have seen and clever and it's creating a lot of interest,what great advertising
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 21:37   #8 (permalink)

Bad call on the cat
By Tim Colquhoun
The Sydney Morning Herald

A hip "viral marketing" ad was canned -- but still got the agency howling.

The fur is still flying over a stray online ad showing a cat decapitated by the sunroof of a Ford hatch.

In a public apology, the agency responsible repeated its claims that the ad's release was "a genuine leak" and that no cats were hurt in the computer simulation.

In the ad, the curious cat jumps onto the roof of a SportKa, peeks inside -- and as it does, the sunroof snaps shut, trapping the cat's head. It struggles to free itself, until the limp body slides down the windscreen. In recent weeks, the ad rapidly spread worldwide via the internet.

The agency has apologised to Ford and the public in a print ad in a major UK newspaper. Mike Walsh, chief executive of Ogilvy & Mather Europe, Africa and Middle East, told The Guardian that "something had gone horribly wrong".

He said Ford and the agency had rejected the ad because of its "inappropriate" content, ordering the deletion of all related files -- but its clandestine release over the internet had triggered "a substantial volume of consumer complaint and negative media coverage".

The speedy and uncontrolled spread of advertising video clips over the internet, known as viral marketing, is aimed at young, cutting-edge users.

Ford previously had used viral marketing to promote the SportKa with a video that showed a pigeon flying towards the car before being swatted away -- and presumably killed -- by the car's bonnet in an explosion of feathers. It had attracted some attention, Walsh said, but no widespread criticism - leading many to believe the cat version was also deliberately released.

The ads' closing caption says "FordSportKa; The Ka's evil twin" and then directs viewers to a now defunct website, the-eviltwin.co.uk

Walsh's last word on the matter: "It is the job of creative advertising to generate stand-out and competitive edge for brands. Agencies will always push at the boundaries, but we recognised that in this instance the line had been crossed. That's why the ad was rejected."

My next Ford.....
Old 11-23-2006, 02:55   #9 (permalink)

mad Re: U.K.:Ford denies responsibility for headless cat ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy94PGT
Ford denies responsibility for headless cat ad

Channel4

Ford has been keen to tap into the possibilities of e-mail-based viral marketing, but has come under fire this week for a distasteful short video clip which appears to be advertising the SportKa, "the Ka's evil twin." Ford was criticized last year for a clip which showed a pigeon being hit by the car's bonnet, but this latest clip has caused even more of a controversy amongst animal protection groups. The computer-generated animation shows a ginger cat getting decapitated by the car's sunroof before its headless body slides down the bonnet. Ford has, however, been quick to stress that the clip is not an authorized ad, but something put together by the creative team at its ad agency, Ogilvy & Mather.

A statement issued today says that the clip "was specifically rejected by Ford and Ogilvy. The clip was not released, but has been leaked over the internet. We at Ford Motor Company find this unofficial 'advertisement' totally unacceptable and reprehensible, and have briefed UK animal welfare organisations. A full investigation has been ordered by Ford and Ogilvy to determine how this unapproved material found its way into the public domain. The action in the video clip was totally computer-generated, and we would like to assure customers that no animal was harmed in its making."
Big joke who really beleive the video clip was totally computer-generated!
They are lying! This video is the most crual advertising against animal I've ever seen. Are you really beleiving I will buy a Ford's car after that?
recofges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:52   #10 (permalink)

I guess not considering it happen more than 2 years ago.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News