U.S.A.:2004 Charting the Changes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 08:39   #1 (permalink)

U.S.A.:2004 Charting the Changes

Car & Driver
October 2003

The first three retro-rocket GT supercars surfaced in June, and regular production will begin next spring. The GT has a high-tech aluminum space frame (see Technical Highlight) and a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 good for 500 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. The slightly more pedestrian Focus gets new steering knuckles and struts for improved handling and an optional 145-hp, 2.3-liter Mazda four-cylinder; the SVT Focus gets new wheels and an optional European Appearance kit. Taurus interiors feature a redesigned steering wheel and gauges and a passenger weight sensor for the airbag system. Minor powertrain retuning improves efficiency and smoothness. Laminated safety side windows and front-seat side airbags are available on the Crown Victoria.

A bigger, fancier F-150 pickup arrives boasting a new 24-valve 5.4-liter V-8 and fully boxed chassis frame rails, standard rear-hinged half-doors on extended- and regular-cab models, plus a version with four standard-size doors. Five trim levels will be offered. F-series Super Duty pickups get an electric sliding rear window and a new Harley-Davidson version. Ranger pickups feature a more aggressive grille and hood design and minor interior upgrades. The Explorer Sport Trac interior is also restyled. The Freestar is a rebadged and heavily revised Windstar minivan. Front, rear, and interior styling are new, and the third-row seat now folds to make a flat floor. Curtain airbags for outboard passengers, a power liftgate, and a choice of 3.9- or 4.2-liter V-6 engines are offered. E-series van buyers can now choose a 6.0-liter diesel V-8 and second-row captain’s chairs. Escapes make do with new luxury- and trim-package revisions until the four-cylinder gas-electric hybrid version arrives mid-2004. Explorers can be had with bucket seats and a console in the middle row. The lowest-priced Excursion model is rebadged the XLS.

Unchanged: Thunderbird, Mustang, SVT Mustang Cobra, Expedition, SVT F-150 Lightning.

Dead: ZX2, Th!nk City, Windstar, Explorer Sport.

TECHNICAL HIGHLIGHT Developing the GT supercar in 15 months involved copious innovation, especially in the design of the aluminum chassis. The roll-bonded floor panels start with two sheets of aluminum with a mesh of graphite sandwiched between them. Hot, high-pressure rollers forge the sheets together wherever the graphite isn’t, and then compressed air expands the sheets where the graphite was, leaving a rigid, quasi-quilted panel. These panels are then friction-stir-welded to the center tunnel. A tool rotating at 10,000 rpm is pressed to a seam, causing the metal to meld into a smooth, continuous seam. This protects passengers from the tunnel-mounted ship-in-a-bottle fuel tank. All the tank’s vapor recovery, filtering, pickup tubes, and related plumbing are assembled, and then the long 17.5-gallon tank is blow-molded around them. The tank is fed by a capless fuel-filler tube (a spring-loaded internal flap seals the filler and is opened by inserting the nozzle). And finally, the large super-plastic formed aluminum body panels are attached using “plus nut” fasteners, extra-long mounting nuts that are computer milled to provide an ideal mating surface.

TECHNICAL HIGHLIGHT (TRUCK) Ford has set apart the new 300-hp, 5.4-liter V-8 in the F-150 pickup by adding a three-valve head and variable valve timing. So what’s new about that? The 5.4 is the first mass-produced engine to pair cam phasing with single overhead camshafts, meaning the two intake and one exhaust valve per cylinder shift jointly. The system precludes altering valve overlap, but Ford claims shifting intake and exhaust valves at once produces most of the power and emissions benefit of separate cam phasers. Other 5.4 tricks: magnesium cam covers, elongated spark plugs that allow tighter spacing of the valves, and secondary throttle flaps in the composite intake manifold that close at low engine speeds to hasten airflow and induce turbulence for better fuel atomization.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0903200315365098.jpeg (25.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg 423200311460.jpeg (14.3 KB, 6 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 07:29   #2 (permalink)

Car & Driver

2004 Charting the Changes
Mazda
October 2003

The C/D-comparo-winning two-plus-two-door four-seat RX-8 sports coupe is the big news for ’04. Power comes from an all-new rotary engine making 207 horsepower in the $25,700 four-speed automatic model or 247 horsepower in the $27,200 six-speed version with 18-inch wheels. Late this fall the Mazda 3 will arrive in four- and five-door configurations to replace the Protegé lineup. Power will come from 2.0- and 2.3-liter four-cylinder engines. The Mazda 6 sedan range will expand to include a hatchback and a wagon next spring, at which time a Mazdaspeed supercharged version of the MX-5 Miata is also expected.

The MPV minivan gets a thorough face lift front, rear, and inside. Beneath the carbon-fiber trim and other tinsel, there’s a much appreciated new spring to assist pulling the third-row seat out of its well. The B-series pickup gets an interior restyle.

Unchanged: Tribute.

Dead: Protegé, Protegé5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0903200315365562.jpeg (27.6 KB, 2 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 09-12-2003, 07:34   #3 (permalink)

Car & Driver

2004 Charting the Changes
Mercury
October 2003

The Sable presents a fresh face, a new rear bumper, and some interior tweaks to go along with a slightly more efficient DOHC V-6. Revisions to the transmission and the engine’s knock sensors aim to improve responsiveness of the Marauder. The options list of its Grand Marquis stablemate expands to include a glass sunroof, front-seat side airbags, heated front seats, and laminated security side glass.

The short-wheelbase Villager minivan was not offered last year, but for 2004 it is replaced by the much larger Monterey, a rebadged Ford Freestar with unique front, rear, and dash styling, powered by a 4.2-liter V-6. The rearmost bench folds into the floor, and a power liftgate and curtain airbags are available. Middle-row bucket seats are offered in the Mountaineer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0903200315365577.jpeg (30.4 KB, 2 views)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News