U.S.A.:SEMA 2003: There's no such thing as stock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 10:54   #1 (permalink)

U.S.A.:SEMA 2003: There's no such thing as stock

A look at this year's SEMA Show and SEMA International Auto Salon exhibits

By Scott Mead & Chuck Schifsky
Photography by John Kiewicz & the manufacturer
Motor Trend, July 01, 2003

If there's any doubt the automotive aftermarket is alive and well, just take a look at this year's SEMA Show and SEMA International Auto Salon exhibits: It's fueled by 110-octane enthusiasts, supercharged with industry innovators, and boosted by a nitrous chaser of "what if?" imagination. The Specialty Equipment Market Association - now in its 40th year - has been the catalyst in bringing the aftermarket to the consumer, and vice versa.

This year, we found great innovations and creative thinking at both shows. Here are some of the products and show highlights that piqued our interest.

Ford FR100 Pickup
When it went looking for a vehicle to showcase its new 5.0-liter "Cammer" crate engine, Ford Racing Technology chose an unlikely candidate: a 1953 F-Series pickup. "We picked a vintage Ford truck as the showcase because it's both eye-catching and something any enthusiast can relate to," says FRT Director Dan Davis. The new engine is a stroked version of Ford's 4.6-liter DOHC 32-valve V-8 that the automaker says is ideal for retrofit into older Ford cars or trucks. However, it was the test-bed FR100 pickup that caught our attention. Built by McLaren Performance Technologies, the FR100 is the third "FR" project Ford has done, including the successful FR500 Mustang and FR200 Focus.

The FR100 is essentially a race car covered by a highly modified F-100 body. McLaren fabricated a custom tube chassis, extended the cab by six inches and shortened the bed. The FR100 rides on the same unequal-length control-arm front suspension used on the FR500 Mustang, while the rear rides on a Mustang Cobra independent rear suspension in place of the original solid axle. The 5.0-liter V-8 pumps out 430 horsepower and 370 lb-ft of torque, which is routed through a six-speed manual transmission. Additional features include a rollcage, Centerforce clutch, Vintage Air air-conditioning, Brembo disc brakes at all four corners, 18-inch BBS wheels, and Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. The exterior is covered in Sikkens charcoal-silver urethane paint that gives the FR100 a sleek, sophisticated look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoom25.jpg (30.9 KB, 6 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2003, 11:00   #2 (permalink)

SVT Ranger Bolt
What do you get when you combine a 380-horsepower supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 and a Ford Ranger pickup? Tire smoke and lots of it. Sound like a dream? Well, it's not. Ford's Special Vehicle Team did just that, and the results are amazing. SVT engineers thought it might be cool to swap an SOHC V-8 engine from an SVT Lightning pickup into a Ranger; replacing the stock 4.0-liter SOHC V-6. The modifications necessary to get the bigger engine to fit in the Ranger's engine bay include custom headers, air intake, and exhaust system. To handle the V-8's massive 450 lb-ft of torque, the stock Ranger automatic transmission and rearend were replaced with Lightning pieces. Further upgrades include a boxed frame to strengthen the structure, while massive 345/45ZR18 Michelin Sport rear tires get much of the power to the ground.
SVT says the Ranger Bolt is just a concept for now and it has no plans to produce the beast. We had a chance to test this prototype at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway during a brief break in SEMA action. We weren't disappointed. We're saving the juicy details for a complete report in an upcoming issue of Truck Trend Magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoom26.jpg (43.0 KB, 12 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 07-28-2003, 11:06   #3 (permalink)

No, really. Sex doesn't sell aftertmarket parts Seriously; she's promoting silicone-filled engine mounts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoom27.jpg (29.4 KB, 9 views)

My next Ford.....
Old 07-28-2003, 11:10   #4 (permalink)

Like fine wine, Former Miss Hurst Shifter Linda Vaughn keeps getting better with age. Oh yeah, the 1933 Ford street rod was nice too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zoom28.jpg (26.4 KB, 8 views)

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News