The all-new Jaguar XK
Jaguar has issued the following press release:
Jaguar is proud to announce a new era in its sports car lineage – the all-new XK. Like all great Jaguar sports cars, the focus of the all-new XK is firmly on the future, while acknowledging the marque’s rich history. It heralds a new era for Jaguar in terms of both design and engineering, and it is the most technically advanced Jaguar ever built.
The all-new XK continues the Jaguar tradition of beautiful, powerful, ground-breaking sports cars, but behind its stunning looks, it bristles with practical, intuitive, modern technology, clearly focussed on enhancing the driving experience. It delivers significant improvements in performance, dynamics, safety, exterior and interior design and equipment, and product quality. When it is launched in early 2006, this first of the next generation of Jaguars will become the sporting flagship of the Jaguar brand.
By starting with a blank canvas, Jaguar was able to make use of the latest aerospace technologies alongside more traditional Jaguar skills to create a luxurious, powerful, highly advanced sports car. A major key to the all-new XK’s character is Jaguar’s industry-leading aluminium monocoque body structure, introduced with the latest XJ saloons.
With this unique high-tech construction method, the all-new XK’s bodyshell is 31 percent stiffer than the previous XK’s and significantly offers a 10 percent improvement in power to weight ratio. The all-new XK is up to 90 percent stiffer and 180kg lighter than key rivals, with a kerb weight of just 1595kg.
ALL-NEW JAGUAR XK AT A GLANCE
• All-new Jaguar XK 2+2 sports car
• First of a new generation of beautiful, fast Jaguars
• The most technically and technologically advanced Jaguar ever
• Succeeds the Jaguar XK range introduced in 1996
• All-aluminium construction forms a lightweight, incredibly stiff, strong car
• All-new XK lighter than its predecessor and key rivals, at 1595kg kerb weight
• Delivers a balance of superb performance, driving dynamics and Jaguar sophistication
• Intuitive controls and driver-focussed technologies – such as keyless entry, push button start and active lighting – enhance driver enjoyment
• Spacious, elegant sports car cabin exemplifies Jaguar craftsmanship, luxury and quality
• Launched with latest generation naturally aspirated 4.2-litre Jaguar AJ-V8 engine, developing 300bhp (224kW) SAE / 298PS (219kW) EEC
• New Jaguar Sequential Shift 6-speed automatic transmission system incorporates steering wheel-mounted paddles for manual gear changes
• Reaches 60mph from standstill in 5.9 seconds and completes quarter mile sprint in 14.4 seconds – less than half a second off the pace of the previous 400bhp supercharged model*
• Top speed of 155mph (electronically limited)
• On sale from early 2006, with prices announced at the beginning of the year.
• Convertible model will also be available – details will be announced later this year
CHASSIS Body Riveted and bonded aluminium
ENGINE Cylinders/valves per cylinder 8/4 Bore/stroke – mm 86/90.3 Capacity – cc 4196 Maximum power – SAE bhp (kW) 300 (224) EEC PS (kW) 298 (219) @ rpm 6000 Maximum torque – SAE lb ft (Nm) 310 (420) EEC lb ft (Nm) 303 (411) @ rpm 4100
Transmission 6-speed automatic. Jaguar Sequential Shift with steering wheel-mounted shift paddles
PERFORMANCE (subject to confirmation) 0-60 mph (0-100 kph) - seconds 5.9 (6.2) Top speed – mph (kph) 155 (250) electronically limited
DIMENSIONS Length – mm 4791 Width – mm 2070 (incl. mirrors) Height – mm 1322 Wheelbase – mm 2752 Kerb weight – kg 1595