UK:Ford funds research into improved diesels - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2004, 21:46   #1 (permalink)

UK:Ford funds research into improved diesels

Ford funds research into improved diesels

AutoWired

FORD IS putting £350,000 into exploring ways of improving the fuel consumption of diesel engines and reducing harmful emissions.

It has made the grant available to the University of Bath's Department of Mechanical Engineering which also gets £1.6m from the government's Science Research Investment Fund.

The university will explore ways to make the temperature control and cooling mechanism of the engines more efficient and investigate the increasing the number of engine parts that are powered by electricity rather than mechanically.

The research will help Ford's work with PSA Peugeot Citroen on improved diesel engines.

"This isn't research that sits on a shelf gathering dust - our results will be in the cars people drive, cutting diesel bills and reducing waste products, within five or ten years," says professor Gary Hawley, who heads the University's Powertrain and Vehicle Research Unit.

36-volt systems

Dr Hawley also said that research at the University of Bath was looking farther ahead. He also said that he believes that within the next five years vehicle electrical systems would switch from using a 12-volt system to 36 volts.

This would mean that car engines would have the capability within their starter system to cut out when drivers stopped the car at, say, junctions and traffic lights, and restart automatically when drivers put their foot on the accelerator. This would virtually eliminate pollution from standing traffic.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News

Related Reading: UK:Ford funds research into improved diesels