UK:Jaguar XKR-R - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54   #1 (permalink)

UK:Jaguar XKR-R

Supercat on prowl

We reveal top-secret bid to build fastest-ever coupe

AUTO EXPRESS

As well as XKR’s twin bonnet vents, new XKR-R gets a central intake to help cool the more powerful engine. Large mesh grilles and brake cooling ducts appear up front, while a ground-hugging splitter increases downforce.

Supercharged V8 from XKR will be uprated to deliver 500bhp in new model

Despite racy looks and carbon fibre trim in cabin, newcomer will still be a comfortable and refined place to spend time.

In the past, Jaguar has produced lightweight versions of its road cars, but the new model will stick to the firm's core themes of accessible power and luxury

Check out the claws on this Big Cat! Auto Express has got the inside line on the most exciting new Jaguar since the XJ220 supercar. It's a sports GT that promises to send the famous British maker into uncharted territory, and is set to become the firm's fastest-ever coupé.

This is the XKR-R, a more powerful version of the range-topping two-door, which will challenge premier league performance cars such as the Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Porsche 911 Turbo.

Our pictures are based on exclusive insider information. Expected to take inspiration from Jaguar's new endurance project, the XKR-R will get a deep front splitter, low side skirts and Venturi-style tunnels at the rear. Mesh grilles, a larger bonnet air intake and brake ducts complete the aggressive nose, while flared wheelªarches and huge 20-inch alloys add further visual punch. The look is finished off by a racing stripe and big rear wing.

But despite its track looks, the XKR-R won't be a stripped-out racer. In the past, Jaguar has produced lightweight versions of its road cars, but the new model will stick to the firm's core themes of accessible power and luxury.

While racing bucket seats and carbon fibre trim will save weight, it's the uprated engine that will make the most difference to performance. Engineers are likely to boost the XKR's 4.2-litre supercharged V8 from 420bhp to more than 500bhp, thanks to a reprogrammed ECU, uprated variable valve timing with an increased rev limit and a free-flowing exhaust. The firm will also change the gearing on the supercharger, forcing it to blow even harder.

With a new six-speed paddleªshift auto, that should mean the 0-60mph sprint is covered in 4.5 seconds, while a top speed in excess of 180mph is possible. Larger brakes and retuned adaptive dampers will also appear.

But talk of the XKR-R is controversial, not least because of Jaguar's financial situation. Officially, projects outside of the programme to replace the S-Type are off-limits.

Parent firm Ford is insistent that Jaguar must make a return on the massive investment in it before the firm is allowed free rein on cars such as the XKR-R. However, internal support for the car is huge, and a development timetable for the newcomer is being openly discussed behind the scenes.

A further factor in the XKR-R's favour is the sale of sister brand Aston Martin. Until now, Jaguar's top sports models haven't been allowed to step on the toes of Aston's products - but with Ford actively looking to shift the firm, Jaguar's path is clear. There's no doubt the XKR-R would be a stunning flagship - all the company needs to do now is build it.

My next Ford.....

Last edited by Stacy94PGT; 11-01-2006 at 03:56.
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 06:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: UK:Jaguar XKR-R

XK racer ready

As with Aston Martin and Porsche, Jaguar is taking to the track by going GT3 racing with this XKR

Auto Express

The first XKR GT3 is currently being built by Buckingham firm APEX Motorsport, and will test for the first time next month. Although the cars aren't official factory entries, APEX does have Jaguar's full support.

The GT3 is a hardcore machine, and with up to 550bhp from its supercharged V8, a six-speed sequential gearbox and racing brakes and tyres, it should be a winner on the track. There's even a chance it will appear at the Le Mans 24 Hours enduro next year.

Six examples will compete in next year's FIA GT3 Euro Series.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News