US:Ford Launches Its All-New 2005 Mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2004, 19:58   #1 (permalink)

US:Ford Launches Its All-New 2005 Mustang

Ford Launches Its All-New 2005 Mustang, Which Is Scheduled to Reach N.A. Showrooms In October

The Auto Channel
Photo's by Autoindex

DETROIT; John Porretto writing for the AP reported that Ford launched its all-new 2005 Mustang on Monday, the fifth generation of the iconic sports car the company sorely needs to help lift sluggish U.S. sales.

The new car, built at the AutoAlliance International plant in Flat Rock that Ford co-owns with Mazda Motor Corp., is scheduled to reach showrooms next month. The base price for a V6 version will be $19,410. The GT version with a V8 engine will start at $24,995.

The new car's design has received kudos from analysts and Mustang enthusiasts for effectively marrying design cues from the 1960s with modern enhancements. The three-element taillights, for example, harken back four decades to Mustang's origins. But the new 4.6-liter, 300-horsepower engine has more than 50 percent more power than the V8 in the classic 1964 model.

"America, your car is ready," Jim Padilla, Ford's chief operating officer, said at a gathering of workers, reporters and others at the plant. "Mustang is the exclamation point of Ford's product onslaught."

Ford is in the midst of launching nine new or revamped vehicles in 90 days, including nameplates such as the Ford Five Hundred, the company's new flagship sedan, and the Freestyle crossover vehicle.

Ford has dubbed 2004 the "Year of the Car," although the company's car sales were down 14.2 percent for the first eight months of the year, including a 10 percent drop in Mustang business, according to Autodata Corp. Overall vehicle sales were off nearly 5 percent.

In addition, Ford is in jeopardy this year of losing to Chevrolet its long-held title as the nation's best-selling automotive brand.

In a research report, Merrill Lynch's John Casesa said Ford's new products "present some opportunities and some challenges."

Casesa said the popularity of crossover vehicles, which typically have characteristics of a car, minivan and sport utility vehicle, and Ford's large distribution network bode well for the Freestyle. But Casesa noted that the Five Hundred will compete in an already crowded field of large sedans that he predicts "will continue to decline as a percentage of the market."

Ford has gone to great lengths to make sure the launch of the new Mustang is flawless.

The automaker invested nearly $700 million in Flat Rock's flexible manufacturing system, which makes the plant, about 15 miles south of Detroit, capable of building up to six different models on two vehicle platforms.

Also at Monday's ceremony, Labor Secretary Elaine Chao said the federal government would provide $6.3 million in new grants to help train auto industry workers on new advanced production techniques. The Labor Department said a previous grant helped train some workers producing the new Mustang.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 20:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Ford Launches Its All-New 2005 Mustang

Love the Look!! But doubt we'll get it here in Australia.....still we don't get the 500 either so it's not all bad!!

But...

What is it with those wheel arch gaps???
Old 09-27-2004, 21:34   #3 (permalink)

i dunno, but for $25K thats a pretty schmick looking vehicle. those wheels look pretty big, possibly 19"s?
XPorXF? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 22:14   #4 (permalink)

The reason for wheel gaps is ride comfort. You can bet that the Shelby, Roush, and Saleen Mustangs won't have a wheel gap. Well, not as big as the production GT model. The wheels are 17's , that's for the GT. 16's are on the V-6 model.

My next Ford.....
Old 09-27-2004, 23:17   #5 (permalink)

Ford pins hopes on 2005 Mustang

Iconic car won't be redesigned for several years

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News
Photos by Clarence Tabb Jr. / The Detroit News

Kelly Greer, 39, a 14-year Ford employee, works on the assembly line at the AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock. Ford says dealers have taken nearly 25,000 orders for the 2005 Mustang, which goes on sale next month.

Ford is betting that retro-styling of the new Mustang will age well on the road.

Mustang milestones
1964: World debut of Mustang at World's Fair in New York
1965: Shelby GT350
1969: Boss 302, Boss 429 and Mach I
1978: 5.0 King Cobra
1993: 1st SVT Mustang Cobra
1995: 1st SVT Mustang Cobra R
2001: Mustang Bullitt GT
2003: Mach I returns
2005: Fifth-generation Mustang debuts

FLAT ROCK - Get used to the look of Ford's new Mustang. It's going to be around awhile.

As Ford Motor Co. launched production of the 2005 Mustang on Monday in Flat Rock, company executives said the iconic pony car's design would remain virtually unchanged through the end of the decade.

Ford is betting that retro-styled Mustang will age well on the road. But the strategy could be risky considering most automakers tweak their car designs every year or so to keep them fresh. To stoke interest, Ford will introduce a special edition version of the Mustang every so often, said J Mays, the automaker's group vice resident of design.

"You will, for sure, see something different in '06, '07, '08 and '09," Mays said. "But they will be in limited volumes that will make people think, 'I need to get my hands on that.'"

The new design has received praise from analysts and enthusiasts for effectively marrying design cues from the 1960s with modern enhancements. The three-element taillights, for example, harken back four decades to Mustang's origins.

Still, one analyst expressed skepticism that any vehicles can compete in today's cutthroat auto market without periodic makeovers.

"There are some things that can keep that vehicle alive into 2005 and maybe even into 2006, but after that, the vehicle has such strong retro-styling cues, that type of design usually suffers from a very compressed product lifecycle," said Erich Merkle, a senior auto analyst with IRN in Grand Rapids.

Ford says dealers have taken nearly 25,000 orders for the car, which goes on sale next month.

Mustang is the last of eight new vehicles Ford is rolling out this year.

And its success is critical to the automaker's goal of generating full-year pre-tax earnings of $7 billion by mid-decade.

"Mustang not only sells itself, it sells other Ford products," said Jim Padilla, Ford's chief operating officer.

Padilla joined government officials, United Auto Workers leaders and employees Monday at AutoAlliance International Inc.'s Flat Rock plant, where Mustang is being assembled alongside the Mazda6 sports sedan.

Ford invested about $30 million in tooling for Mustang production and received more than $100 million in government tax breaks and training funds. Altogether, Ford and Japanese affiliate Mazda spent nearly $700 million to make the plant flexible enough to build up to six models on two vehicle platforms.

In addition to an all-new model, Ford faces other challenges on the factory floor to produce the new Mustang.

About 1,400 of AutoAlliance's 3,600-member work force are new to the factory after transferring from other Ford plants, such as the former Ranger pickup plant in Edison, N.J. They have received additional training to become better acquainted with the factory's flexible manufacturing methods.

The plant has a capacity to build up to 290,000 units annually, and Padilla said Mustang production could account for more than 193,000.

Ford executives say they have covered all the bases to guarantee a smooth rollout for the new Mustang.

"Launches are a very difficult time for almost any automaker because you're changing so much," Louise Goeser, Ford's vice president of quality, said. "I am absolutely certain about this vehicle."

In previous years, Ford struggled with quality glitches and recalls of new products. But Goeser said the automaker's quality has improved rapi

dly, citing a 30 percent decline in warranty costs since 2001 - a savings of more than $1 billion.

At AutoAlliance, Ford implemented quality control measures first adopted to launch the redesigned F-150 pickup. But for Mustang, it adopted a precision building method inspired by Mazda for assembly of the Mazda6.

Also at Monday's ceremony, Labor Secretary Elaine Chao said the federal government would provide $6.3 million in new grants to help train auto industry workers on new production techniques.

"The $6.3 million in grants announced today will be used to train workers on the complex components of today's automobile manufacturing, as well as the electronic and diagnostic equipment and other high-tech systems needed to service them," Chao said.

"Mustang not only sells itself, it sells other Ford products," says Jim Padilla, Ford's chief operating officer.

2005 Mustang GT

2005 Mustang V-6

My next Ford.....
Old 09-27-2004, 23:29   #6 (permalink)

Mustang to Appear All Over

The Car Connection
Daily Edition

Expect to see the 2005 Mustang in all forms of media in advance of the launch of the new pony car, which goes on sale next month, Ford officials tell Automotive News. Not only will the company launch conventional print and TV ads - they'll also position the Mustang as a featured ride for Jennifer Garner in the season premiere of ABC's Alias, while a character on the Fox sudser The O.C. will receive a new Mustang as a 16th-birthday present. And as the Mustang moves along through its launch phase, you can also expect new variants as in the past, Ford president Steve Lyons tells the news weekly. "We've got to look at Machs and Bullitts and Bosses," Lyons said. The Mustang coupe goes on sale in October; the convertible, in March.

My next Ford.....
Old 09-28-2004, 06:47   #7 (permalink)

The 2005 Stampede Begins - New Ford Mustang

Automotive Intelligence

At AAI, the 2005 Ford Mustang is built with extreme precision on an all-new platform designed to blend the car's past with modern engineering and advanced manufacturing.

Nearly $700 million investment in AAI as a flexible manufacturing plant makes the plant capable of building six models on two vehicle platforms.

Employees are trained in advanced manufacturing technologies in a new high-tech lab that is accessible to thousands of high school students in local community.

FLAT ROCK, Mich. - AutoAlliance International today opened its gate for the stampede of the most anticipated car in America, the all-new 2005 Ford Mustang.

With retail orders running 60 percent higher than expected, Jim Padilla, chief operating officer, Ford Motor Company, congratulated the 3,600 AAI employees on building the new model of America's favorite car with great precision and pride.

Ford Mustang launch with Jim Padilla

Photos: Ford

"America, your car is ready," Padilla told the cheering crowd. "Mustang is the exclamation point of Ford's product onslaught. There is no other car like it. And here at AutoAlliance, the 2005 model has found a great home. This plant, with its all-new flexible system, stands as a world-class plant in advanced automotive manufacturing systems and processes."

Ford invested nearly $700 million in AAI's flexible manufacturing system, which makes the plant capable of building up to six different models on two vehicle platforms.

This investment includes a new body shop with 380 robots and flexible tooling as well as an upgraded stamping operation with 38 new die sets capable of stamping 52 critical body parts. Major upgrades to the final assembly area include programmable platforms, or skillets, that hold the body on a scissor lift and adjust to the operator's height for improved ergonomics.

"The new technology in our plant means we can make a great car even greater," said Phil Spender, AAI president. "With quality a top priority, the 2005 Mustang is built with extreme precision and attention to detail on an all-new platform."

The precision build of the Mustang is ensured by various dimensional control systems throughout the manufacturing process. Among them:

Dimensional Control Center: Data on the critical dimensional points of body components - such as engines, instrument panels, doors and suspension systems - are collected and studied regularly by quality engineers.

In-line laser dimensional control and a web-based data management system: These robot-mounted lasers measure critical body dimensions on the underbody line and the body framing line, to prevent variances in the build process.

Padilla and Spender hosted a plant celebration for employees, community guests, union leaders, dealers, state and federal government officials and media.

To prepare for production of the 2005 Mustang, AAI invested $30 million to train employees in highly skilled advanced manufacturing technologies and processes. The technical training will be open to local high school students through future vocational education programs.

My next Ford.....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:06   #8 (permalink)

2005 Mustang Celebrates Job 1

Ford Press Release

Jim Padilla, chief operating officer, Ford Motor Company, and Charlie Hoskins, of the United Auto Workers, celebrate the launch of the 2005 Mustang with employees at AutoAlliance International, the icon's new home. For mor information on the 2005 Mustang, visit fordvehicles.com.

FLAT ROCK, Mich. -- Ford Motor Company's AutoAlliance International (AAI) plant has opened its gate for the stampede of the most anticipated car in America, the all-new 2005 Ford Mustang.
With retail orders running 60 percent higher than expected, Jim Padilla, chief operating officer, Ford Motor Company, congratulated the 3,600 AAI employees on building the new model of America's favorite car with great precision and pride.

"America, your car is ready," Padilla told the cheering crowd. "Mustang is the exclamation point of Ford's product onslaught. There is no other car like it. And here at AutoAlliance, the 2005 model has found a great home. This plant, with its all-new flexible system, stands as a world-class plant in advanced automotive manufacturing systems and processes."

Ford invested nearly $700 million in AAI's flexible manufacturing system, which makes the plant capable of building up to six different models on two vehicle platforms.

Jim Padilla, chief operating officer, Ford Motor Company, drives a 2005 Mustang GT off the line at the American icon's new home, AutoAlliance International.

This investment includes a new body shop with 380 robots and flexible tooling as well as an upgraded stamping operation with 38 new die sets capable of stamping 52 critical body parts. Major upgrades to the final assembly area include programmable platforms, or skillets, that hold the body on a scissor lift and adjust to the operator's height for improved ergonomics.

The launch celebration was packed with AAI's 3,600 employees, community guests, union leaders, Mustang Club members and government officials, including the U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao. Padilla called AAI a world-class plant with advanced automotive systems and processes.

"The new technology in our plant means we can make a great car even greater," said Phil Spender, AAI president. "With quality a top priority, the 2005 Mustang is built with extreme precision and attention to detail on an all-new platform."

To prepare for production of the 2005 Mustang, AAI invested $30 million to train employees in highly skilled advanced manufacturing technologies and processes. The technical training will be open to local high school students through future vocational education programs.

UAW worker Valerie Stewart completes a final inspection of a 2005 Mustang as the all-new model is launched at its new home, AutoAlliance International.

Padilla said the advanced word on the street for the new Mustang is strong. Already retail orders are 60 percent higher then expected, and the new Mustang website has requests for product information from over 200,000 potential customers.

For Ford, this is the year of the car, and Padilla said Mustang helps sell other Ford products. In fact, 60 percent of those who own Mustangs have another Ford product in their family.

AAI president Phil Spender called the new Mustang one of the world's best toys and AAI one of the world's best toyshops.

My next Ford.....
Old 09-29-2004, 08:34   #9 (permalink)

Buzz Buzz Goes the Word on the Street
The Word About the 2005 Mustang is Excitement

Press Releases
By: Brad Nevin | Ford Communications Network

It's safe to say that people around the country are excited to get their eyes, hands and ears on the 2005 Mustang. For more information on the 2005 Mustang, visit fordvehicles.com.

DEARBORN, Mich. -- When the first Mustang debuted at the New York World's Fair in 1964, stories about how people went nuts over this car started to fly.
One man slept in his Mustang at the dealership for a day or two until his check cleared. Another man drove his pickup truck through a dealership window , apparently in awe of the new Mustangbecause he could not take his eyes off of the new Mustang.. Ford Motor Company sold nearly 22,000 the first day Mustangs went on sale. By the end of 1964, Ford had sold over 400,000 models.

It's too early to know how many 2005 Mustang models Ford will sell by the end of this year, but we do have a taste of how excited the American public is today to get their eyes, ears and hands on a 2005 Ford Mustang. Dealers are salivating.

"So far we have sold 10 new Mustangs," said Steven Smith, one of the sales managers at Jim Click Ford in Tucson, Arizona. "We can't wait until it arrives. There is general excitement all around. We have an enthusiast club in Tucson that meets once a month. They come in and take brochures from the dealership and pass them around. That helps spread the word all over the place."

The 2005 Mustang order bank is at 23,000 units before vehicles have even reached dealerships, and retail orders are running 60 percent greater than an average vehicle about to arrive in dealerships. Still, those are hard numbers. The real passion behind Mustang lives in people across the country who can't wait to own a new Mustang.

At a NASCAR Fan Appreciation Day and Ride and Drive in Michigan last August, one customer flew from Tennessee to take one test lap in the 2005 Mustang. Average wait for the drive was two hours. When questioned about his plans to get autographs and stay the weekend for the Race or Dream Cruise, the customer said, “I am here just to drive the Mustang and I am flying back to Tennessee this afternoon.” This person proud customer had already purchased a 2005 Mustang from his local Ford Dealer dealer and is awaiting delivery in October.

Mustang excitement is growing all around the country. At the University of Texas at San Antonio, an undergraduate marketing class has the been assigned the fall semester class project of developing a Mustang launch plan for the San Antonio market. Word from San Antonio is the class is very excitedis thrilled about being involved in the launch of an American icon like the 2005-model Mustang.

Then there's Rachel Emmons of Alexandria, Virginia. She ordered her 2005 Mustang GT several months ago to go along with her 1967 model. “People ask me how much am I paying for it, and I say, ‘I don't know,’” Emmons said. She's president of the National Capital Region Mustang Club, which has about 450 members in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. At first, Emmons said she was hesitant to get the 2005 Mustang. “Then I sat in it and said to myself, 'Who am I kidding? I have to get this car.'” She said several Mustang club members already have vehicle identification numbers for their the 2005 Mustangs they ordered, and some of them know exactly where on the line their vehicle will be built. Emmons’ Mustang will be number 835.

Some of these stories may sound extreme, but when you consider the car these people are excited about, their behavior suddenly seems entirely reasonable.

The 2005 Mustang's performance value is unparalleled. At $19,410 for the 2005 Mustang V-6 Coupe, Mustang is the only sports car in the market that delivers 210 horsepower for under $20,000. At a starting price of $24,995, the new Mustang GT Coupe, with its 4.6-liter 3-Valve V-8 engine, delivers 300 horsepower. There is no production sports car that delivers 300 horsepower for less than $31,000.

There's no other rear-wheel drive sports car on the market comes close to matching the Mustang in price or performance. Compared to the competition, Mustang stands alone.

My next Ford.....
Old 10-11-2004, 08:56   #10 (permalink)

2005 Mustang Launch is On Track

Press Release
By: John Fossen | Ford Communications Network

Launch quality of the 2005 Mustang is "on track," according to Louise Goeser, Ford vice president of Quality. For more information on the 2005 Mustang, visit fordvehicles.com.

FLAT ROCK, Mich. – The launch of the all-new 2005 Mustang is on track, Louise Goeser, Ford vice president of Quality, told reporters gathered for the recent 2005 Mustang launch celebration at Auto Alliance International (AAI). In fact, Goeser said that all of the company's current North American launches -- which also include the Ford F-Series Super Duty, Escape Hybrid, Freestyle and Five Hundred, and the Mercury Montego and Mariner -- are hitting their targets based on Ford internal quality indicators.
The news is especially good for the Mustang, which already has generated 25,000 orders from anxious customers and piqued the interest of another 250,000 who want more information on the new pony car.

"By volume, the 2005 Mustang has produced an interest level that is seven times greater than seen during last year's new F-150 launch," said Goeser.

Built at the joint venture Ford-Mazda assembly facility in Flat Rock along with the MAZDA6, the Mustang is able to leverage the best practices from both companies, including the global Ford Production System, and Mazda's Kaizen System and Body Quality Development process. Ford even arranged for a J.D. Power staff evaluation of the new units to help ensure high customer satisfaction.

UAW worker Valerie Stewart completes a final inspection of a 2005 Mustang as the all-new model is launched at its new home, AutoAlliance International.

Plant employees have undergone extensive training. The U.S. Department of Labor contributed $5 million to train the 1,400 hourly employees who recently moved to the AAI facility while Ford invested $25 million for hiring and training the Mustang workforce. Some of the funds helped to create a high-tech training lab, which also will be accessible to thousands of area high school students. In addition, AAI has 307 Consumer-Driven 6-Sigma Green Belts and 12 Black Belts who are deployed throughout the facility. Six-Sigma, Ford's data-driven problem-solving process, has globally eliminated more than $2.19 billion in waste since 2001.

"This is a highly-trained, highly-skilled workforce," said Goeser. "Ford has made great strides in quality since 2001 in such areas as reduced warranty spending, initial quality and vehicle dependability. We still have a way to go, but I know that the AAI employees are dedicated to making Mustang the best it can be."

The 2005 Mustang is arriving in dealer showrooms this fall. Not only does it have stellar styling, but the 2005 Mustang's performance value is unparalleled. At $19,410 for the 2005 Mustang V-6 Coupe, Mustang is the only sports car in the market that delivers 210 horsepower for under $20,000. At a starting price of $24,995, the new Mustang GT Coupe, with its 4.6-liter 3-Valve V-8 engine, delivers 300 horsepower. There is no other production sports car that delivers 300 horsepower for less than $31,000.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News