US:Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8 are Among Car and Driver's 10Best - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 04:44   #1 (permalink)

US:Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8 are Among Car and Driver's 10Best

Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8 are Among Car and Driver's 10Best

Press Release
By: Mike Thomas | Ford Communications Network

The Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8 are among Car and Driver magazine's 10Best for 2005.

DEARBORN, Mich. -- America's muscle car scored a double this month, according to the editors at Car and Driver magazine. In the car buff's January issue, the annual 10Best Cars list honors the 2005 Mustang as the Best Muscle Car. In addition, the January issue features a head-to-head comparison of the Mustang and the Pontiac GTO, and the Mustang comes out the clear winner. Mazda also made the 10Best Cars list with the RX-8 being named the Best Sports Coupe.
In judging the 10Best cars, Car and Driver writers used three criteria. First, all cars must have a base price no higher than $70,000, which is 2.5 times the average U.S. new-vehicle transaction price as of August, 2004. The cars must be scheduled to go on sale no later than January, 2005. And finally, the automakers must make their vehicles available in time for the writers' evaluation process in September.

Cars meeting these criteria were then test driven by 15 automotive journalists who have, in the words of the magazine, "…collectively frittered away 357 years writing about cars." These writers evaluated the cars under a variety of actual driving and track conditions and judged the cars based on function, value and whether driving the car put a smile on the writer's face.

In its 10Best summary of the Mustang, Car and Driver wrote: "The first truly new Mustang in 26 years is on the street and it goes good, looks bitchin', and the GT version is an unbeatable performance buy: 300 horsepower for 25,000 bucks…The key to its eye appeal is obvious – an inspired revival of the late '60s Mustangs, arguably some of the best of the breed. Stir in bargain pricing, plus the absence of direct competition, and you have a formula that adds up to 'can't lose.'"

In its 10Best summary of the RX-8, Car and Driver said, "The chassis is as stiff as a double shot of Dewar's, the steering is laser accurate, the suspension hits the sweet spot between firm and punishing, and the weight distribution is about as close to perfect as perfect gets. We're talking about the ingredients that distinguish automotive athletes from the plodders – traits that make the car an extension of the driver's will."

In the comparison test between the Mustang GT and the Pontiac GTO, Car and Driver billed the contest as a "Goat and Pony Showdown." True to their animal namesakes, the retro-styled pony outpaced the goat in both performance and value.

Author Tony Quiroga wrote: "The Mustang wins because when you take it in, as a total package, the Ford makes better sense. Pick apart the Mustang's laundry list of simple components and it will seem to be less a car than the GTO, but drive the Mustang and it feels like far more than the sum of its parts. This is the draw of the Mustang: It makes the most of what it has, doesn't suffer for what it doesn't have, charges you less that you'd expect, and beckons from the showroom until you come and take it home."

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 07:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8 are Among Car and Driver's 10Best

CAR&DRIVER
10Best Cars: Best Muscle Car
BY CSABA CSERE AND TONY SWAN

Ford Mustang GT

Ford’s pony-car renewal program has been nothing if not deliberate, and there are a good many among the Mustang faithful who wouldn’t have objected to some all-new action 5 or 10 years ago. But never mind. The first truly new Mustang in 26 years is on the street, and it goes good, looks bitchin’, and the GT version is an unbeatable performance buy: 300 horsepower for 25,000 bucks.

How’d they do that? Careful cost containment. Like a budget-minded travel itinerary, every element of the Mustang’s development program was shaped by that $25,000 GT destination. This accounts for the strut front suspension and the inexpensive live-axle rear suspension, a piece of technology that’s newer than the wheel, but not much. Still, the chassis engineers made it work by optimizing the axle’s locating links as well as the spring and shock locations. The GT’s rear suspension keeps the tires in contact with the pavement most of the time, an achievement for a live-axle setup.

The key to the Mustang’s good road manners is a thoroughly modern structure, adapted from the Lincoln LS. The key to its eye appeal is obvious—an inspired revival of the late ’60s Mustangs, arguably some of the best of the breed. Stir in bargain pricing, plus the absence of direct competition, and you have a formula that adds up to “can’t lose.”

Specifications

Vehicle type front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
Base price $24,995
Engine type SOHC 24-valve 4.6-liter V-8
Power (SAE net) 300 bhp @ 5750 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 320 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Transmissions 5-speed manual, 5-speed auto
Wheelbase 107.1 in
Length/width/height 188.0/73.9/55.4 in
Curb weight 3500–3550 lb
EPA fuel economy, city driving 17–18 mpg

My next Ford.....
Old 12-10-2004, 07:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: US:Ford Mustang and Mazda RX-8 are Among Car and Driver's 10Best

CAR&DRIVER
10Best Cars: Best Sports Coupe
BY CSABA CSERE AND TONY SWAN

Mazda RX-8

The RX-8 doesn’t provoke facial distortion or nosebleeds at full gallop, but it has plenty of other sports-car virtues. The chassis is as stiff as a double shot of Dewar’s, the steering is laser accurate, the suspension hits the sweet spot between firm and punishing, and the weight distribution is about as close to perfect as perfect gets. We’re talking about the ingredients that distinguish automotive athletes from the plodders—traits that make the car an extension of the driver’s will.

Consistent with previous Mazdas wearing RX badges, the RX-8 is propelled by an engine lacking pistons and valves. Mazda put itself on the U.S. sales map with the rotary engine back in 1970, and the RX-8’s 238-hp (197 with an automatic transmission), 1.3-liter twin-rotor Renesis is the latest edition. Like other naturally aspirated rotaries, it’s a little short on torque but long on smooth and a pleasure to live with.

There’s more. Not only does the RX-8 deliver exceptional sports-car pleasure, but it’s also capable of delivering it to more than two. The rear seats can accommodate two adult-size passengers, in comfort, and the rear demi-doors, ê la Saturn quad coupe, make the RX-8 easy to climb into and out of. Wow. A practical sports car. What’ll they think of next?

Specifications

Vehicle type front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2+2-door coupe
Base price $25,920
Engine type 2-rotor 1.3-liter Wankel
Power (SAE net) 197–238 bhp
Torque (SAE net) 159–164 lb-ft
Transmissions 6-speed manual, 4-speed auto
Wheelbase 106.4 in
Length/width/height 174.3/69.7/52.8 in
Curb weight 3050 lb
EPA fuel economy, city driving 18 mpg

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News