US:Ford plans a diesel engine for Expedition - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 04:56   #1 (permalink)

US:Ford plans a diesel engine for Expedition

Ford plans a diesel engine for Expedition

Amy Wilson | Automotive News

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- Ford Motor Co. will offer a diesel and more powerful gasoline engines in its Expedition SUV this decade.

Expedition chief engineer John Viera wouldn't provide exact timing but said the diesel and bigger gasoline engines will be available in the next two years.

A spokesperson said the diesel Expedition is in Ford's plans but has not received final approval.

At a press event here, Viera said: "In this market, having an economical, fuel-efficient powertrain is at the top of everybody's list." He added that Ford still is considering a couple of diesel options.

Ford officials already have confirmed that the F-150 pickup will offer a diesel in 2008 or 2009. It's likely to be a bigger version of a 3.6-liter V-8 diesel used in European Land Rovers.

The same engine could be used in the Expedition, which shares front-end architecture with that next-generation F-150.

Viera said the diesel Expedition could arrive at the same time as the F-150 diesel. He said the Expedition's sibling, the Lincoln Navigator, may also get the new engines.

The diesel especially makes sense for the extended-length versions of the 2007 model SUVs. Viera noted that they largely serve as replacements for the Ford Excursion SUV. Before the Excursion was discontinued in 2005, around 60 percent were sold with diesel engines.

Said Viera: "To have diesel in our mix is the right thing to do."

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News