US:Ford retools marketing plan for Fusion and truck lineup - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03   #1 (permalink)

US:Ford retools marketing plan for Fusion and truck lineup

Ford retools marketing plan for Fusion and truck lineup

Feel-good campaign with focus on Americana falls flat, so automaker shifts to competitive tone.

Detroit News staff reports

Ford launched its Bold Moves advertising and image campaign last year with a series of touchy-feely ads that featured images of Americana such as a father teaching his son to drive and a mother and daughter jumping into a mountain lake. Ford even made sure the stars of the ad looked like "regular" people. But some dealers and critics complained it was the ads themselves that seemed a little "regular."

So Ford is headed back to the drawing board with a pair of TV spots it plans to show off today. One will show customers test driving a Ford Fusion midsize sedan along with rivals like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. The motorists choose the Fusion. The ads are modeled after the famous "Pepsi Challenge" ads.

Ford marketing officials believe the Fusion has the credibility to make such a claim after its recent praise from Consumer Reports and others.

Ford spokesman Jim Cain would not discuss the new ad campaign, but said it's important to let consumers know that the Fusion is standing out from the crowd.

"If you had as many third-party accolades as we do for Fusion, you would be crazy not use it," Cain said.

The other ad touts Ford's truck leadership, pointing out that the F-Series pickup was America's best-selling vehicle again in 2006. Ford is emphasizing its truck leadership as it competes with new pickups by General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Corp.

"It's a different tone," said one Ford insider. "They are very expressive and in your face."

The ads also answer criticism from dealers that some Ford ads were heavy on feel-good imagery and light on details and attributes of vehicles.

As Ford takes its Bold Moves ad campaign in for a tuneup, it's also wrapping up its online documentary on Fordboldmoves.com this week. The documentary ended with 30 episodes, rather than the 50 episodes originally planned.

The documentary was conceived as a warts-and-all look at Ford and the challenges it faces. It included comments from some of Ford's sharpest critics and unusually frank talk from Ford executives. Some within the company were not comfortable with the candid nature of the Web serial.

Over time, some felt the episodes became more like a traditional corporate image campaign, mostly emphasizing the positive.

"I was a big fan of Ford's Bold Moves Web site until they started doing mass media with it. Now it just feels like a tagline, not the social movement it promised to be," BusinessWeek's Paul Bennett wrote in a recent column.

Ford spokeswoman Whitney Drake said the documentary was successful in getting customers' attention. She said Ford garnered about 2 billion consumer impressions on the Web site.

"It drove traffic to Ford vehicles," Drake said. "It did what we set out to do."

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 13:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Ford retools marketing plan for Fusion and truck lineup

Ford ads will tout consumer nod for Fusion

Upgrades also in store for F series

Amy Wilson | Automotive News

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is introducing advertising touting consumer preference for the Ford Fusion over Japanese-brand sedans.

Ford CEO Alan Mulally and U.S. sales chief Cisco Codina told dealers and journalists Wednesday, Jan. 3, that the Fusion beat the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry in a consumer research event. Car and Driver magazine's business unit conducted the event in mid-December, a source said.

Ford plans to tout the Fusion's win over the Camry and Accord in the ad campaign. The automaker will provide details to journalists and dealers today.

Ford also is expected to unveil commercials promoting the F-series pickup. Technology upgrades for the F-150 and lower prices for the Super Duty line will be revealed.

My next Ford.....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:08   #3 (permalink)

Ford ads challenge Asian rivals

Blue Oval pushes to win back U.S. sales after losing market share to top sellers Camry, Accord.

Detroit News staff and wires

Looking to prove its Ford Fusion sedan is more than competitive with Asian rivals, Ford Motor Co. has launched a new series of ads putting the vehicle up against the best-selling Toyota Camry and Honda Accord in test drives.

The "Fusion Challenge" ads, which started running Thursday, feature head-to-head comparison test drives organized by Car and Driver magazine and paid for by Ford.

The Detroit News first reported the new ad campaign Thursday.

More than 600 subscribers to the magazine participated in the drive in December. Barry Engle, general manager of Ford brand marketing, wouldn't say how much the publication was paid.

One ad touts the Fusion's results against the Accord and Camry, while the second shows reactions from drivers.

The idea is to break the consumer perception that cars made by foreign automakers are superior. Ford also will offer a special lease deal for the Fusion in January and February, with $0 down, $0 due at signing and no first-month payment.

With the new ads, Ford is trying to "provoke people to think differently about us," Engle said at a press conference Thursday.

Mark Fields, president of Ford's Americas division, said the aim of the ads is to change perceptions.

"Because perception does lag reality," he said. "We can go out there and we can say, 'We've got a great car. We've got a great warranty, etc.' But it's another thing to get vehicles in customers' hands and let them tell us. Think of this as -- probably a bad analogy -- but, the 2007 version of, 'Have You Driven a Ford lately?' Getting us on the shopping and the consideration lists and doing it in a way that has confidence, but not arrogance, and let people decide."

A Detroit News survey by J.D. Power and Associates unveiled this week showed that American's consumers still perceive quality and reliability problems with domestic vehicles despite recent quality gains.

The Fusion and its Mercury and Lincoln versions are critical vehicles for Ford, as they compete with some of the strongest vehicles offered by foreign rivals. Ford North American sales chief Cisco Codina said Thursday that Ford is trying to project a "confident but not cocky" message in order to drive showroom traffic and sales.

The Fusion has won some accolades from J.D. Power and Consumer Reports, but Ford executives said Thursday that too few consumers know about it.

In its first full year of sales, Ford sold 142,502 Fusions in 2006. That helped Ford increase car sales 5.4 percent.

My next Ford.....
Old 03-27-2008, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Scherp

Hmmm, I like the sound of that better. How about this for a commercial: A close-up of a spinning tire kicking up dust. The sound of them peeling out. Teaser shots here and there. A quiet interior. Hands gripped firmly on the steering wheel. A roaring engine. Chrome. Rubber tracks left on the pavement of some traffic light. Some wild metallic colors glistening on some nicely shaped sheetmetal. A windy road. Suddenly everything goes slow motion. The sound of a cat's growl and the first ever glimpse of one sexy convertible Mercury Cougar speeding down the road with its top down and Beyonce in the driver's seat. Que the music. "Crazy in love". A parking garage with spotlights on the vehicle. Music fades out. Hard top goes up. Doors lock while LED tail lights flash. "Sometimes, getting there is all the fun"
Scherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 23:30   #5 (permalink)

THESE DAYS MOST CUSTOMERS JUST WANT A GOOD LOOKING CAR WITH PLENTY OF SAFETY FEATURES?

BUT IF THE CAR IS A STANDOUT & HAS ALL THE FEATURES, why not shout it to the masses, that's what Toyota do.

the Fusion is to bland, it needs an update with the new euro look, The mondeo is killing the opposition in europe & has won soo many awards in it's short history since it's release mid last year.

the " bold move look" is not a good one, Lincoln have gone for more a future look with iconic features, I do like the interceptor concept, but are ford going to do it, it should have been built by now, or it will get stale & the car will not sell?

the CEO said it should have been done, when he first arrived there?
& on the ford.com showcar & concept page there is only good comments that said it has to be built & they will by it?
Ford have already got the feedback that they wanted on this concept but have done nothing?
Build it now or it will be tooooooo late?
fordfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:25   #6 (permalink)

here is the link to the concepts & the comments pages
Ford Interceptor Concept � Ford Motor Company Global Auto Shows

Read it & see what they are saying?
But really the Lincoln MKR CONCEPT is better, to look at!
Old 04-02-2008, 18:31   #7 (permalink)
Scherp

Ford just needs to replace all of its current products in the states with the stuff sold across the pond. Mondeo replace/blend with Fusion, Focus replaced with Euro version (all versions), c-max shipped over, Edge replaced/blend with Kuga, Verve built and slide in below Focus, Interceptor built to replace Taurus. Or just kill all rebadged fords, and ship entire european lineup and call them Mercury! Develope some even nicer versions and replenish Lincoln's stuff!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:25   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherp View Post
Ford just needs to replace all of its current products in the states with the stuff sold across the pond. Mondeo replace/blend with Fusion, Focus replaced with Euro version (all versions), c-max shipped over, Edge replaced/blend with Kuga, Verve built and slide in below Focus, Interceptor built to replace Taurus. Or just kill all rebadged fords, and ship entire european lineup and call them Mercury! Develope some even nicer versions and replenish Lincoln's stuff!
ARE YOU THAT SERIOUS , THAT JUST WOULDN'T HAPPEN & SHOULDN'T.
I see that the focus & fusion have been good sellers lately & the Edge is doing good also. Isn't the Kuga smaller than the Edge, & i think you will be getting the 4 door verve ( fiesta) ............& also the 3 door if the market is there for it?
Old 04-11-2008, 18:08   #9 (permalink)
Scherp

I think we are getting the Verve, which is a sign that we might start seeing the Kinetic Design Language take over. Not that the Fusion and Edge are bad. Ford did what they could given their situation. But now, with pics of the next Ford Taurus that leaked out, it seems like we might get a mix of Mondeo and Falcon style-wise. That's a really good thing. However, we badly need a RWD platform to compete with Chrysler and GM! You guys have got it good down there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News