US:Ford vehicle sales down 7 percent due to slump in truck purchases - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 05:56   #1 (permalink)

US:Ford vehicle sales down 7 percent due to slump in truck purchases

Ford vehicle sales down 7 percent due to slump in truck purchases

Sarah Karush / Associated Press

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. sold nearly 7 percent fewer vehicles last month than in June 2005, as higher gas prices held truck buyers at bay, the company reported Monday.

But while sales of light trucks plummeted 14.6 percent, the company saw a bright spot in car sales, which rose 8.6 percent, as demand for the company's new mid-size sedans remained high.

In total, the company sold 269,404 cars and light trucks of the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands -- a 6.8 percent drop.

Ford has traditionally been stronger in trucks than cars, with the F-Series pickups a perennial best seller. But high gas prices are making success in the car market increasingly vital.

Ford said sales of truck-based sport utility vehicles have been declining across the industry for four years in a row, but until recently pickups were relatively immune from the phenomenon. However, pickup buyers now appear to be delaying purchases because of the pressure of high fuel costs, said Al Giombetti, president of marketing and sales for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.

In a statement, Giombetti said the increase in car sales is "cause for optimism because it shows we can win in the industry's most competitive segment."

In the first half of the year, Ford's sales fell 3.8 percent, with truck sales sliding 9.7 percent and car sales rising 7.8 percent.

The Associated Press reports unadjusted sales figures, calculating the percentage change in the total number of vehicles sold in one month compared with the same month a year earlier. Some automakers report percentages that are adjusted for the number of sales days in a month.

Ford shares fell 21 cents, or 3 percent, to $6.72 Monday in early afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News