US:Jaguar considering design options for next-gen X-Type - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 06:41   #1 (permalink)

US:Jaguar considering design options for next-gen X-Type

Shooting Higher
Jaguar considering design options for next-gen X-Type

By WIM OUDE WEERNINK | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek
Photo from Global Auto Index

The current X-Type may be replaced by a "shooting brake" style wagon.

Jaguar could replace its X-Type lower-premium car with a “shooting brake”-style station wagon.

The term shooting brake often is used to describe a stylish wagon used for sporting purposes such as hunting. In the past, the Queen of England always had a shooting brake at her disposal.

The X-Type, which comes as a sedan and station wagon, is Jaguar’s best-selling model. Its sales have not matched the British sports car maker’s hopes since its 2001 launch.

Development work on the X-Type’s successor has been delayed as Jaguar debates what kind of vehicle should replace it.

“Work has been held back for some time now,” a European distributor executive said. “They are studying what sort of model the next X-Type should be. But it won’t be a sedan again.”

Jaguar Managing Director Bibiana Boerio hinted at the Detroit auto show in January that the British sports car maker was considering radical options for the X-Type.

Denying rumors that the next X-Type will be a crossover, she told Automotive News Europe: “Someday we may create our own segment, with an alternative [concept] option.”

The X-Type’s successor likely will be equipped with all-wheel drive.

Last year Jaguar built 44,965 X-Types, down from 59,992 in 2004.

Jaguar had problems with the X-Type from the beginning. The vehicle was derived from the Ford Mondeo, and some customers didn’t feel it was a proper Jaguar.

The carmaker was slow to bring diesel and station wagon versions to market. The X-Type also performed very poorly in North America, where dealers had to offer big incentives to sell the cars.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News