US:Mainstream Mustangs: Sedan and wagon models to join coupe, Ford denies plan - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 06:20   #1 (permalink)

US:Mainstream Mustangs: Sedan and wagon models to join coupe, Ford denies plan

Mainstream Mustangs
Sedan and wagon models to join coupe as Ford builds on pony car’s strong brand

By GREG KABLE AND BOB GRITZINGER
AutoWeek

Ford’s iconic Mustang is poised to play a crucial role in Ford’s future by expanding beyond its traditional role as a single performance figurehead into a complete range of global models. And the company’s Australian arm looks like the source for all the necessary hardware.

In a secret product planning meeting last fall, key Ford executives discussed a bold strategy to take the legendary Mustang mainstream. Ideas include both sedan and wagon variants of America’s original muscle car, with those cars joining the traditional coupe when the sixth-generation Mustang arrives in U.S. showrooms in 2011, AutoWeek sources say.

This is a sneak peek from the December 18th issue of AutoWeek.

(PHOTO)http://cwimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pb...=1065&MaxW=800

Extending the Mustang lineup is based on the global strength of the brand, which some marketing experts consider potentially stronger than the Ford name itself. “It’s a case of reaching out to the men or women who keenly identify with the Mustang, but for various reasons—whether it be family, recreational or other—need a more versatile car than a coupe,” explained one prominent automotive industry con******t
familiar with the Ford plan. “As long as it’s great looking and sporty, then it doesn’t matter whether it has two or four doors.”

Ford’s decision to diversify the Mustang line isn’t without precedent. When Dodge brought back the Charger after a long hiatus, it successfully launched it in four-door sedan guise rather than as a coupe. Further back, BMW was roundly criticized for adding a sedan variant alongside the 3 Series coupe, but those complaints have since been drowned in the marketplace.

Not all the brand experts agree, however. Charlie Hughes, co-author of the book Branding Iron and keynote speaker at the upcoming AutoWeek Design Forum, thinks messing with Mustang may be a mistake.
“The minute they do a four-door, they really weaken the brand,” said Hughes. “I think it’s a high-risk strategy. They need to refine Mustang, not try to bastardize the whole product.”

Ford’s revitalized Australian arm will likely play a central role by developing a global rear-wheel-drive platform to underpin the future Mustang models, as well as other key Ford models. While we’ve illustrated a four-door Mustang here, rumors suggest Ford will foreshadow its plans with a Mustang-based Lincoln four-door at the upcoming Detroit auto show. Those same whispers suggest the Lincoln sports sedan will incorporate the independent rear suspension developed for the current Mustang, but scrapped as too expensive for the pony car market. The concept also telegraphs Ford’s plan for a five-link independent rear axle in a more sophisticated and lighter weight next-gen Mustang.

My next Ford.....

Last edited by Stacy94PGT; 12-13-2006 at 09:21.
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 06:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Mainstream Mustangs: Sedan and wagon models to join coupe

Mustang to go global

Autocar.co.uk

Ford is ready to turn to the iconic Mustang in a bid to reverse its dwindling profits and shrinking market share — and that means expanding the brand beyond US-only coupés and into a full range of models, including a saloon like the one previewed in our artist's impression, to be sold across the world. Ford executives have devised a bold strategy to take Mustang mainstream. Saloon and estate variants are likely to join the traditional coupé in the sixth-generation line-up due to hit US showrooms in 2011, according to high-ranking sources. And Ford’s Australian operation — which has recently ramped up its R&D division — is likely to provide the hardware.

Launched in 1964, the Mustang was conceived as an affordable coupé and has remained that way for over 42 years. But Ford is desperate to generate domestic sales against a backdrop of increasing domestic and foreign competition. So it has turned to the Mustang’s popularity to lead a product revival.

Autocar understands Ford’s revitalised Australian off-shoot is set to play a central role in the proposed program. It will develop a new global rear-wheel-drive platform which future Mustangs and other vital Ford models, including various Lincolns, will use after 2010. A Lincoln concept, based on a stretched four-door Mustang platform, will be shown at the Detroit motor show in January. The move mirrors that of Australian rival Holden, which developed parent company General Motors’ new Zeta platform and launched it under the VE Commodore.

My next Ford.....
Old 12-13-2006, 08:58   #3 (permalink)

That would be awesome to have a four door mustang with the new boss engine coming out!

Ronald Reagan "War has never started because the United States was too strong!" God bless our missiles, and may they forever hit their targets with precision!
E.I.B. Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 16:24   #4 (permalink)

Ford quashes AutoWeek’s ’Stang sedan report, announces Mustang-based sedan concept for Detroit

By BOB GRITZINGER
AutoWeek

Ford officials have “categorically” denied plans to build a sedan or wagon version of the iconic Mustang, but at the same time confirmed that the Dearborn automaker will show a Mustang-based, rear-drive, four-door concept at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

AutoWeek reported in its Dec. 18 issue and on autoweek.com that Ford product planners last fall met to discuss ways to take the Mustang mainstream and global, possibly by expanding the lineup to include sedan or wagon variants.

In a release issued Dec. 15, Ford said the company has no plans to expand the Mustang line. The release stated:

“Ford Motor Company today made clear that recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line—including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets—is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car.

“At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as ‘The Interceptor,’ is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available Dec. 31, 2006.”

AutoWeek stands by its sources who say Ford is developing various models from the sixth-generation Mustang platform, due in 2011. Those sources suggest a four-door Mustang would be a strong option, especially in the global marketplace. Other options include a four-door Lincoln with independent rear suspension and a twin-turbo V6, which is rumored for a debut at the Detroit show along with the Interceptor.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News