US:Mustang And Mazda Engines Honored By Ward's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2004, 13:57   #1 (permalink)

US:Mustang And Mazda Engines Honored By Ward's

Mustang And Mazda Engines Honored By Ward's

Press Release
By: Mike Thomas | Ford Communications Network

The 300-horsepower, 4.6-liter SOHC V-8 in the all-new Ford Mustang GT has been named one of the ten best engines by Ward's magazine. For more information on the 2005 Mustang, visit fordvehicles.com.

DEARBORN, Mich.-- Cup holders are cool, but when you come right down to it, cars are about engines. According to Ward's automotive magazine, two Ford Motor Company engines stand out among a crowded field of high-tech powertrains.

The magazine's annual 10 Best Engines awards include the V-8 powerhouse under the hood of the Mustang GT and the RENESIS rotary engine from Mazda.

Ward's tested 36 car and truck engines for its 2005 10 Best Engines competition, evaluating them based on the crucial engine characteristics of power, torque, NVH(noise, vibration and harshness), technical relevance and basic comparative numbers. All engines nominated and tested were in vehicles with a base price less than $52,500.

Ward's praised the Mustang V-8 by writing: "Power for power's sake is not forgotten on this year's list, however. Ford Motor Company wins with its heavily revised 4.6L SOHC V-8 in the all-new Ford Mustang GT. Ward's testers praised Ford for creating a refined V-8 that produces 300 horsepower at an affordable price and called it 'the perfect new-generation muscle-car V-8.'"

The 4.6-liter engine delivers 40 more horsepower than the previous V-8. The lightweight, all-aluminum engine produces 315 foot-pounds of torque. It is 75 pounds lighter than a similar cast-iron design, yet it still provides optimum stiffness and strength.

"The 4.6-liter 3-valve V-8 engine has great power and fantastic sound," says John Stoll, Ward's associate editor. "But, I think the most important story is that Ford built it by leveraging global engine resources rather than being lured into building something completely new just for Mustang."

With only 1.3 liters of displacement, Mazda's RENESIS engine generates 238 horsepower and 159 lb-ft of torque when equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission. For more information on the RX-8, visit mazdausa.com.

About the Mazda RENESIS, the magazine's editors wrote: "This 1.3L powerhouse returns for a second year fronting the same impressive design advances and spectacular power output, in relation to its size, that virtually guaranteed a win in 2004, its first year of availability."

The RENESIS is the heart of Mazda's RX-8. Indeed, its compact size allowed designers the luxury of adding four doors to a sports car. While the RENESIS may be small in size, it generates 238 hp and 159 lb-ft of torque when equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission.

The Ford and Mazda engines, along with the other eight best engines, provide ample evidence that the art of designing engines still has a lot to offer when it comes to power and sophistication.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 14:17   #2 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Re: US:Mustang And Mazda Engines Honored By Ward's

interesting well done to ford on the win. curious to know why the LS2 didn't get included. after all the praise the GM crew are giving it.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:49   #3 (permalink)

Re: US:Mustang And Mazda Engines Honored By Ward's

Here's the list;

The Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2005: (Engine and tested vehicle)
* Audi AG FSI 3.2L DOHC V-6 (Audi A6)
* Audi AG 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4)
* DaimlerChrysler AG 5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Chrysler 300C)
* DaimlerChrysler AG Mercedes-Benz 3.2L DOHC I-6 CDI Turbodiesel
(Mercedes E320 CDI)
* Ford Motor Co. 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT)
* General Motors Corp. Vortec 4.2L DOHC I-6 (Chevrolet TrailBlazer)
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd. 3L SOHC V-6 IMA Hybrid (Honda Accord Hybrid)
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd. Acura 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Acura RL)
* Mazda Motor Corp. 1.3L Renesis rotary (Mazda RX-8)
* Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 Coupe)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News