US:New Ford site to test fuel cells - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 05:39   #1 (permalink)

US:New Ford site to test fuel cells

New Ford site to test fuel cells

The carmaker hopes the alternative-energy research in Ontario will lead to lower costs.

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. will build a new center for fuel cell development as part of an $820 million upgrade at its Toronto-area assembly operations, the company plans to announce today.

Anne Stevens, group vice president in charge of Ford's operations in Canada, Mexico and South America, said the investment will not only pay for the new research center to develop new alternative fuel sources, but also provide Ford with another North American plant flexible enough to build several different models.

The research center will initially be charged with advancing the development of a patented electricity-generation system created by Ford Motor Co. and Detroit Edison.

First tested at Ford's Rouge assembly complex in Dearborn, the system collects fumes from a plant's paint shop and feeds the fumes into a fuel cell instead of releasing them as emissions.

The fuel cell, powered by hydrocarbons in the fumes, then generates electricity for use in the plant.

Ford hopes the new center's research will lead to lower manufacturing and energy costs.

"It's about the next level of sustainable manufacturing," Stevens said.

Ford's Oakville, Ontario, plant - located just southwest of Toronto - produces the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans. The installation of flexible manufacturing equipment at the factory will begin next month, with completion expected by 2006.

The new Oakville assembly complex will be Canada's first vehicle assembly plant with flexible manufacturing, and Ford's seventh flexible factory in North America.

Flexible manufacturing plants allow for the simultaneous production of different vehicles based on two of three fundamental platform designs, also known as "architectures." And each design can support two or three body-styles, such as sedan, wagon or crossover. The same equipment is used to build all vehicles, and it can be quickly reconfigured to accommodate shifts in sales and model-year changes.

The Oakville plant will be equipped to build four different vehicles from two architectures.

Ford wants to equip 75 percent of its North American assembly plants with flexible manufacturing tools by decade's end.

Ford is also in discussions with Georgia officials about adding flexible manufacturing equipment at a plant in Atlanta.

Buzz Hargrove, president of the Canadian Auto Workers union, which represents Oakville's 2,500 workers, welcomed the investment because the plant is operating on just one shift because of weak minivan demand.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 05:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:New Ford site to test fuel cells

Ottawa likely to help Ford in Oakville

By SIMON TUCK
From Friday's Globe and Mail

Ottawa — The federal government's contribution to Ford Motor Co.'s$1-billion overhaul of its Oakville, Ont., operations will be a loan, sources say, although most of the money from Ottawa will likely come from a controversial program with an abysmal repayment record.

Ottawa will confirm Friday that it will provide a loan of $100-million to Ford's plan to construct a leading-edge flexible assembly plant to replace its minivan plant and a shuttered truck factory, the sources said.

The auto maker was unsuccessful in its bid to persuade the federal government to provide a direct grant toward the project, a government source said.

Ontario will also contribute $100-million toward the project, as the two governments join Alain Batty, Ford Canada's chief executive officer, to make the formal announcement this morning at the company's Oakville plant.

Most or all of the federal money, however, will be delivered through Industry Canada's Technology Partnerships Canada, a program that was designed eight years ago to provide venture capital loans to companies that were trying to develop new technology in the aerospace, defence, environment, biotechnology and computer sectors.

At the time, the government said loan repayments would cover at least half the cost of the program once it was fully established, but that hasn't happened.

According to the program's most recent annual report, TPC has recovered less than 4 per cent of the more than $2.3-billion that it has invested in over 500 projects over the past eight years. Industry Minister David Emerson has ordered a policy review to determine whether the program still serves a valid public policy function.

When asked this week about the likelihood of the government using TPC to deliver Ford money, Mr. Emerson said the announcement would be coming soon and added: ”That would be the natural vehicle.”

The Ford deal calls for both governments to get some money back if Ford cuts jobs at other Ontario plants during the next five years, sources have said.

Ottawa and Ontario have been concerned that Ford will be forced to cut jobs at operations in the Ontario cities of Windsor and St. Thomas in the next few years, even as the company is in the midst of the Oakville redevelopment.

Government sources said Ottawa wanted assurances from the company that its ”footprint” would not shrink if taxpayers subsidized the Oakville redevelopment. The government had been seeking guarantees that Ford would meet certain investment and employment levels within its entire Canadian operations, not just in Oakville.

One government official said parts of the agreement also apply to Ford's operations in Windsor and St. Thomas.

The new Ford plant will start production in 2006 of two new crossover utility vehicles, one for the Ford brand and one for the luxury Lincoln line. In 2008, workers will begin putting together a redesigned version of the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans made in the existing Oakville Assembly Plant.

The neighbouring Ontario Truck Plant on the site was closed permanently earlier this year.

The Ford investment will save about 4,000 jobs in Oakville by converting the operation to flexible manufacturing, which allows the auto maker to produce several vehicles from a single platform or basic underbody. Ford already has flexible plants operating in Dearborn, Mich., and Chicago.

The deal with the governments probably involves Ford committing to a minimum number of jobs in Canada, one industry source said. Ford employs 11,700 people in the three Ontario cities.

My next Ford.....
Old 10-30-2004, 07:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: US:New Ford site to test fuel cells

Ontario premier lauds Ford's expansion plan

Associated Press

OAKVILLE, Ontario -- The provincial government still is negotiating the final details of its participation in Ford Canada’s $1 billion project to build a new manufacturing plant.

The state-of-the-art manufacturing facility is expected to be open by the fall of 2006, protecting about 4,000 jobs. The operation eventually would replace a Ford minivan plant in the city.

Both Ottawa and the province were asked to contribute about $100 million each out of respective training and research programs. The Ontario government is negotiating an agreement with Ford for $100 million through its Ontario Automotive Investment Strategy, which is meant to support auto manufacturing projects worth more than $300 million in investment or that create or retain more than 300 jobs.

Although details still were being finalized, Premier Dalton McGuinty was on hand in Oakville on Friday lauding his government’s participation.

“We’ll continue working with industry, labor and the research community towards our goal of building the most productive work force in North America,” he said. “We know that the best work force will attract and keep the best jobs and investment that build prosperity and support a great quality of life.”

The Oakville project calls for a “flexible” manufacturing site, which differs from a traditional assembly plant in that if an automaker wants to reduce production of one model in favor of another due to market demand, that changeover on the assembly line can be quickly accommodated.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News