US:Rising star's work on 427 concept becomes part of Ford's new design language - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 07:09   #1 (permalink)

US:Rising star's work on 427 concept becomes part of Ford's new design language

Rising star's work on 427 concept becomes part of Ford's new design language

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

Ford Motor Co. designer Joe Baker with the Ford 427, which debuted at the 2003 Detroit auto show. (Photo by Joe Wilssens)

Joe Baker is one of the rising stars in Ford Motor Co.'s North American design department. Two years ago his Ford 427 concept car won wide acclaim on the auto show circuit, and its three-bar grille and square headlight treatment have been adopted as the new styling direction for several Ford vehicles. Last year, Baker's Bronco concept had SUV enthusiasts pleading with Ford to build the vehicle. Baker worked on the SynUS concept vehicle for this year's Detroit auto show. He spoke with Automotive News Staff Reporter Richard Truett during the show.

Did you ever think that the look you came up with for the 427 concept car would become a big part of the future design language for the Ford brand?

No. That was never the intention when I worked on the 427. I think that's the best way to do it. Because if you sat down and said, "OK, I am going to invent a signature look for a brand," I'm not sure you'd do the greatest work. It would almost be too much pressure.

The Fusion sedan uses many design cues from the 427 in a smaller package. Do you think your styling ideas made the transition well from the 427 to the Fusion?

Yeah. The Fusion isn't the production version of the 427; it's a front-wheel-drive car whereas the 427 was a rear-wheel-drive car. But I think they've done a really good job of translating it to a front-wheel-drive car.

Is there a danger that if the three-bar grille is used on too many Ford vehicles it will become generic looking?

No. I think it will always remain more distinctive than the current kind of aperture that Ford has. The aim is to migrate that look onto future vehicles. It will be the face of Ford for Ford cars. I wanted to create something that could kind of be pushed and pulled in either direction and still remain essentially the same thing. It is a sculptural motif. It's not like a graphic that's applied. You can make it thin and tall. You can make it wide and narrow. I think it works whichever way you pull it around.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 23:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Rising star's work on 427 concept becomes part of Ford's new design language

Will we ever see the 427 Sedan become a reality? The 427 Concept revived much of the glory days of American Motoring. Why not release it to the street? Ford may have the muscle car market at their mercy with the retro/classic Mustang, but Daimler-Chrsyler has captured the American Sedan with the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Knowing Dodge will soon release a Challanger and maybe Chevy a new Camaro, Ford may not hold the muscle car marked much longer or stronger. Ford ought to consider a rival car to the Chrysler 300, and the 427 is the perfect vehuicle for the job. The 427 ci V10 may be a bit impracticle for such a vehicle, but I believe enthusiests of the car itself will be open to compromise. Maybe a 427 HP V8 instead? Either way, much like the Bronco Concept, I would love to have such a vehicle in my garage. Please, please, Ford...Please build my Ford 427, Chrysler 300-Beater!
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:03   #3 (permalink)

Re: US:Rising star's work on 427 concept becomes part of Ford's new design language

I doubt it. Ford did use the "427 concept" front end on the Fusion and now it looks like it'll be on the 500 and Focus. Ford is or has drove the AU Falcon around Detroit. That might be the basis of the next Crown Vic. At this point who knows with all the problems at Ford US.

My next Ford.....

Last edited by Stacy94PGT; 11-05-2006 at 06:48.
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News