US:SEMA Preview: Ford Makes Tracks With F-150,Mustang and others - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2006, 08:04   #1 (permalink)

US:SEMA Preview: Ford Makes Tracks With F-150,Mustang and others

SEMA Preview: Ford Makes Tracks With F-150, Mustang

Inside Line

Ford will be offering up tuned versions of its F-150 pickup and Mustang coupe at this year's SEMA show in Las Vegas.

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford has tipped its hand on plans for the coming SEMA convention beginning October 31, offering extensive details on two of the many cars it will debut at the annual aftermarket blowout.

Ford's first factory customized offering was the F-150 FX2 Sport Extreme. Subtle and no-so-subtle changes transform the FX2 from utilitarian to outrageous.

Outside, a suspension kit drops the truck 2 inches in front and 5 inches in the rear. Wheels are 20 inches by 10 inches, leftover from the SVT Lightning program.

Blacked-out and body-color trim pieces were added to give the truck an aggressive yet unified style. Interior bits include an integrated Bluetooth phone system, and headrest-mounted video screens with line feed provided by an integrated DVD player.

Power comes from a supercharged and intercooled Triton 5.4-liter V8. This 50-state-legal package utilizes an efficient twin-screw supercharger to produce 450 horsepower and 550 pound-feet of torque. Acceleration proved immediate and turbine-like — that is, once the tires hooked up.

A tame-looking Mustang GT convertible was Ford's second exercise in customizing. From the outside it sported the look of the popular California Special Package, fitted with 18-inch black Bullitt style wheels, a unique grille and a Shelby-style rear spoiler.

Closer inspection reveals a soft leather interior by Katzkin, an accessory gauge pod and a beefy Hurst short-throw shifter. Under the hood is where the real modifications are hidden. Like the F-150's engine, the Mustang's 4.6-liter V8 features a Lycoming twin-screw supercharger. The heads are special units from Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP). Horsepower is estimated to be approximately 400. An under-car brace stiffens the chassis, while a FRPP Handling Pack lowers the suspension.

This GT handles similarly to the well-mannered Mustang Shelby GT, but easily out-accelerates any production Mustang except the $41,000 Shelby GT500.

What this means to you: Ford is putting a big effort behind selling upgrades that truly impact the style and performance of its two biggest sales hits, the F-150 and Mustang. If you like these vehicles, you'll like the factory-engineered and -supported products from FoMoCo.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 07:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:SEMA Preview: Ford Makes Tracks With F-150, Mustang

Preview: 2006 SEMA Show

Make tracks to the greatest show you'll never see

INSIDE LINE

To be a bona fide car person, you must know about SEMA — the Specialty Equipment Market Association trade show that happens every fall in Las Vegas. This isn't just another car show. It's the supercharged, tricked-out, souped-up, slammed, chopped, and channeled mother of all automotive shows. SEMA is "Automotive Accessories R Us." In more modern parlance, it's where the folks at Pimp My Ride go shopping.

The world's love affair with automotive customizing makes SEMA a perennial must-attend. But you can't go. Only industry folk — vehicle and/or parts producers, distributors, and retailers — can buy tickets. Good thing you know us, because those in charge at SEMA 2006 let in the automotive press, and you'll be there with us beginning Tuesday, October 31. Inside Line articles and blogs will get you the scoop on all that's new, cool and crazy.

SEMA Overview
SEMA began back in 1967 as a show for manufacturers of high-performance parts such as camshafts, headers, pistons and the like. It's grown dramatically from humble beginnings when there were just 98 booths and 3,000 attendees.

Today, SEMA takes over 1 million square feet of exhibition space at the enormous Las Vegas Convention Center. More than 2,000 customized vehicles will be on display, plus tens of thousands of products presented by more than 2,000 exhibitors from across the globe. Some 50,000 buyers show up to walk the miles of aisles so they can stock their stores with the latest and greatest automotive accessories.

Auto manufacturers use SEMA to pump up interest in their newest or soon-to-be-introduced products and vehicles. The theme for 2006 is "American Muscle," a move that lets DaimlerChrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors share the show's spotlight. How opportune, you think, with the production debut of the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger on the horizon.

Ford
In addition to supercharged F-150s and Mustangs, Ford is showing tricked-out versions of its Fusion, the new Edge and the Expedition, and Lincoln's MKZ, MKX and Navigator.

When you look at enough made-for-SEMA vehicles, you begin to see a pattern. Expect body kits, big wheels, cat-back exhausts and upgraded infotainment systems as a basic starting point. Then, the sky is the limit. Take the Galpin Auto Sports F-Series TikiTruck, complete with a hot tub and tiki torches. Funkmaster Flex consults with Ford on project vehicles, and his Expedition will be on display.

Of all the vehicles wearing a blue oval, pay close attention to the Fusion T5 that is modified by MRT. Its 3.0-liter Duratec breathes with the aid of a Garrett turbocharger that delivers power through Ford's newly available all-wheel-drive system. The lowered suspension is from the experts at H&R.

(Photo by Rex Roy)
Even though Ford doesn't build the Lightning pickup anymore, you can build your own tire-smoking horsepower monster. This one will be on the SEMA show floor.

(Photo by Rex Roy)
Emissions legal in all 50 states, this supercharged 5.4-liter package uses a water-cooled intercooler to produce 450 horsepower.

(Photo by Rex Roy)
This Mustang's power comes from a non-intercooled supercharger and special heads that you can buy at your local Ford dealer.

(Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Company)
Rap artist Funkmaster Flex has worked on a number of styling projects with Ford. Each has a hip, urban feel, like this 2007 Expedition.

Some cars at SEMA are all show and little go. Not this Ford Fusion. Its AWD horsepower is force-fed by a turbocharged 3.0-liter V6.

Tricked out by the company 3dCarbon, the 2007 Lincoln MKZ has a six-piece body kit, 20-inch tires, Brembo brakes and much more.

Showing that crossover vehicles can be sporty, the 2007 Edge by H&R Special Springs looks aggressive on its huge 22-inch rims.

Volvo
While it may not be what the company is known for, Volvo has a long history of racing and fielding high-performance cars that fly under the radar. As the Swedes work to generate interest in their 2008 C30 Coupe, they've put some Gustavian design into three custom cars they'll have on display. Each sports eye-popping paint, big rims and modified suspensions. The cars will certainly boast additional modifications, but Volvo is keeping details to itself until the SEMA press conference.

(Photo courtesy of Volvo)
Using SEMA to promote the sporty new C30 Coupe, Volvo proves it knows how to translate "Pimp my ride" into Swedish.

My next Ford.....
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26   #3 (permalink)

Ford revives Boss engine

Rebirth of its legendary V-8 revs up racing, street versions at 340-500 hp in Mustangs and F-150s.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. is reviving its legendary V-8 nameplate with a modern version of the Boss 302, which debuts as a crate engine offering from Ford Racing at the Specialty Equipment Market Association Show today in Las Vegas.

But the Boss name will not be limited to the race track. Ford insiders say it is also the new name for Ford's Hemi-fighting V-8 that had been known internally as the Hurricane. That name lost favor at Ford after Hurricane Katrina and the automaker opted to dust off the popular Boss name.

The original Boss 302 debuted in 1969 under the hood of a limited edition Mustang of the same name. Sources familiar with Ford's product plan say the company is planning a 40th anniversary edition of the pony car for 2009 that will feature a production version of the new Boss engine. But the new motor is expected to make its production debut in the next-generation F-150 pickup, due out in 2008.

Reintroducing the Boss name on a racing engine is a good marketing move, according to analyst Jim Hall of AutoPacific in Southfield. "It builds up hype for the engine beforehand," he said. "They're trying to connect the concept of a crate engine with the production version. It gives you some credibility to talk about the new powertrain."

The 5.0-liter V-8 crate engine will go on sale early next year. It will be available in a variety of configurations with between 340 and 500 horses of power. The base block will start at $1,759, with prices for complete engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000.

"It's designed to withstand the rigors of racing, but is also affordable and streetable," said Jamie Allison, manager of the Ford Racing Performance Group. "It's a new old engine."

Other than the name and the number of cylinders, there will not be a lot of similarity between the Boss 302 crate engine and the production version. While the iron-block crate engine uses old-fashioned push-rod technology, Hall said the production version will be an overhead-cam engine. It is also likely to have variable valve timing to boost fuel economy.

Ford killed the Hurricane program in 2005 because of concerns about development costs and rising gasoline prices. That decision dismayed many analysts who said the company desperately needed a more powerful V-8 to compete with DaimlerChrysler AG's Hemi and General Motors Corp.'s Vortec V-8s. Ford Americas President Mark Fields revived the Hurricane project earlier this year, but later decided to change the name.

Erich Merkle, an analyst with IRN Inc. in Grand Rapids, said that was the right move.

"This is an incredibly important engine for Ford," he said. "If you really want to be competitive in the pickup segment, you better have a good engine. They need it for the Mustang, too. Right now, the Mustang doesn't have any competition out there. But that is going to change."

Fields promised to introduce a new version of the Mustang every year as part of the firm's new "Way Forward" strategy. Next year will see the introduction of the Shelby GT -- a cheaper version of the Shelby GT500 -- and the company has already announced plans to build a Bullitt version in 2008.

Sources familiar with Ford's product plans say, the new Boss Mustang follows in 2009, in time to face a challenge from the new Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger. Ford plans to introduce a completely redesigned Mustang in 2010.

In addition to the special edition Mustang and the F-150 pickup, Merkle expects the Boss to find a home in the Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition SUVs.

My next Ford.....
Old 11-01-2006, 04:39   #4 (permalink)

SEMA: Ford Reintroduces Boss 302 V8

INSIDE LINE

Ford is ready to rumble against the Chrysler Hemi with the return of the famous Boss 302 engine. It will be on display at SEMA, notably in a Galpin Ford Mustang and a Hotrods and Horsepower Deuce concept.

LAS VEGAS — Tired of playing second fiddle to the Hemi engine — perhaps the most famous power plant of its kind in the U.S. — Ford said on Tuesday that it is resurrecting its legendary 5.0-liter V8 engine with an all-new Ford Racing Boss 302.

A new line of Boss 302 crate engines will hit the aftermarket in early 2007.

Ford said the Boss engines can accommodate displacements from 302 to 363 cubic inches. The engines are rated from 340 to 500 horsepower. The automaker said the retail price for the Boss 302 block is $1,759, with Boss engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000 for the 500-hp Boss 331-cubic-inch engine. The engines come with a 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty.

While the Boss is available only in crate form now, it is expected to find a home under the hood of the Shelby GT, the 2008 Ford F-150 and other special-edition Ford vehicles in the future.

The original Boss 302 — which made its debut in 1969 — powered the limited-production Mustang Boss 302. The car got its name from the engine that powered the Mustang to a Sports Car Club of America Trans-Am series win in 1970. The original Boss 302 delivered less than 300 hp.

Several SEMA vehicles include the new Boss 302, including a 2007 Galpin Ford Mustang featuring a 360-hp Boss engine and a Hotrods and Horsepower SEMA Deuce featuring a 360-hp Boss engine.

What this means to you:Hemi, watch your back!

My next Ford.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:24   #5 (permalink)

Re: US:SEMA Preview: Ford Makes Tracks With F-150, Mustang, and others

'Flex'ing at SEMA
Ford teams with Funkmaster Flex for a wild Expedition

AUTOWEEK

Funkmaster Flex unveils his tuned 2007 Ford Expedition at the 2006 SEMA show. Flex’s concept features a Street Scene® Body Kit, 24-inch wheels, two-tone black and redfire paint and an outrageous custom interior with DVD screens and thumping audio system. Flex previously worked with Ford placing his brand on the Fusion, F-150 and Mustang.

My next Ford.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27   #6 (permalink)

3d Carbon Ford Edge

By AUTOWEEK

My next Ford.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:29   #7 (permalink)

Ford F150 Project FX2 Sport

Photo's By AUTOWEEK

My next Ford.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:32   #8 (permalink)

MRT Ford Fusion

Photo's by AUTOWEEK

My next Ford.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:34   #9 (permalink)

Galpin Auto Sports Mustang

Photo's by AUTOWEEK

My next Ford.....
Old 11-02-2006, 06:36   #10 (permalink)

3d Carbon Lincoln MKK

Photo's By AUTOWEEK

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News