US:Shelby GT350H reincarnated ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 06:39   #1 (permalink)

US:Shelby GT350H reincarnated ?

Shelby GT350H reincarnated

AutoWeek

1966 Shelby GT 350H
Photo from John Graham's Web Page

We hear Ford is putting the finishing touches on a special throwback Mustang for New York, one that echoes the famed Hertz rental car Shelby Mustangs from the ’60s. Ford isn’t talking, but sources tell us the latest incarnation of the Shelby GT350H will carry the same gold-on-black paint scheme as the 1966 original. The new GT350H will also offer higher performance in keeping with the car from the past that, legend has it, was often rented and raced (though participation in SCCA events is unsubstantiated). Ford built 999 copies of the 1966 GT350H, which featured a 289-cid, 306-hp V8.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 05:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Shelby GT350H reincarnated ?

IL Exclusive: 2006 Ford Shelby GT350H Is Coming to a Hertz Outlet Near You

Inside Line

The good old days are back: Ford will build a remake of the legendary 1966 Hertz Rent a Racer, the Shelby Mustang GT350H with that unforgettable gold-on-black paint scheme. (Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Company)

DEARBORN, Mich. — Would you like to upgrade? Ford insiders tell Inside Line that a new version of the Shelby Hertz GT350H will be unveiled at the New York auto show in April and hit select Hertz car rental facilities around the U.S. this summer.

The Dearborn automaker will produce a limited run of 200 of the vehicles, in black with gold paint stripes, just like the 1960s version.

Ford's latest retro vehicle harks back to the Shelby Hertz GT350H, which was modified by Carroll Shelby in 1966 and distributed to select Hertz franchises for the rental-car company's "Rent a Racer" program. The new version borrows from that concept liberally. Ford will build the Mustangs, ship them to Shelby for tweaking and then distribute them to Hertz dealers.

The carmaker told IL that the new version uses a 2006 Mustang GT as a platform and adds new calibration for powertrain controls to give the GT's 300-horsepower, 4.6-liter V8 a boost of 20 hp, to 320 hp. Other performance enhancements include intake and exhaust tuning.

"We're starting to have a little fun," the Ford executive told IL. "This is our big news in New York. The thinking on resurrecting the Shelby Hertz is that if you are going to Vegas for the weekend, you won't have to rent a Chrysler Sebring. You can get a hot Mustang."

What this means to you: Looks like Ford and Hertz are still in cahoots even after the sale. Do I have unlimited miles?

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News