US:Shelby Mustang coming this year - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:38   #1 (permalink)

US:Shelby Mustang coming this year

Shelby Mustang coming this year

Detroit News staff

Ford Motor Co. is joining forces again with racing legend Carroll Shelby to produce a new high-performance Ford Mustang that will hit dealerships later this year.

Ford announced the new vehicle to dealers at meetings in Las Vegas this week. The automaker plans to formally announce the new Shelby Mustang next week in its online documentary that can be viewed on www.myboldmoves.com.

"We are working on the next new Shelby," Ford spokesman Jim Cain said. "We want to announce it in our Bold Moves documentary so we are keeping our cards close to the vest for now."

With few details, it's expected that the Shelby Mustang will be very similar to the limited edition Ford Shelby GT-H, a 335-horsepower Mustang that's available only as a rental at select Hertz locations.

Pricing has not been released, but the new Shelby is expected to be affordable.

Mustang and Carroll Shelby fans have clamored on Web sites for Ford to begin selling the Shelby GT-H in dealerships.

"It would be very interesting," said Howard Pardee, of Waterford, Conn., national director of the Shelby American Automobile Club. "The GT-H already has a following. Shelby is the only icon remaining."

Ford also recently collaborated with the racing legend on the Shelby GT-500, an ultra high-performance Mustang that sells for about $40,000 and the Ford GT super car, which goes for about $140,000.

Shelby, 83, may be the racing world's greatest living legend.

He became only the second American to win at Le Mans when he co-drove an Aston Martin to victory in 1959.

Shelby went on to lead the Ford team that designed the GT40s and won a historic 1-2-3 victory at LeMans in 1966.

He then made his mark as a vehicle tuning whiz, developing his own sports car.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 05:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: US:Shelby Mustang coming this year

Another Shelby Mustang in the Pipeline

Inside Line

(Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Company)
Ford is telling dealers to expect a third Shelby model by year's end. It will join the GT500 (above) and the rental-only GT-H (below). More details weren't released.

(Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Company)

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford Motor Co. told its dealers this week that another new Shelby Mustang will ride into showrooms later this year.

The company will provide details next week on its Bold Moves Web site, according to a report in the Detroit News.

The newest high-performance Mustang will be the third this year to wear the Shelby label, after the Shelby GT-H, which is available only as a rental unit from Hertz, and the recently launched Shelby GT500.

Ford auctioned a Shelby GT-H for $250,000 at a recent fund-raiser, but the remaining 499 cars are in the Hertz rental fleet, despite pleas from enthusiasts to sell the cars at retail through Ford dealers.

Among the rumors circulating on Mustang-related blogs is the word that a less expensive version of the GT500, reviving the Boss Mustang label, could surface.

What this means to you: The Shelby name remains golden, as Ford well knows, and management would love to figure out how else to cash in on the legend.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44   #3 (permalink)

Re: US:Shelby Mustang coming this year

Last I heard the car will weigh about 6800 lbs and the dealers want a 28K hit above sticker.
David Ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News