Volvo Announces Pricing for the All-New XC90 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2002, 09:08   #1 (permalink)

Volvo Announces Pricing for the All-New XC90

August 5, 2002
Volvo Cars of North America, LLC has announced pricing of its first-ever sport/utility vehicle, the all-new 2003 Volvo XC90. Two all-wheel-drive versions, the XC90 AWD and the XC90 AWD T6, will be offered initially when the vehicle goes on sale in November:
The XC90 AWD models will be equipped with Volvo's electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system, a $1750 stand-alone option, bringing the initial price of the vehicle to $35,100. Base price for the XC90 AWD T6, which includes leather seating surfaces, a power glass moonroof, and an in-dash six-CD audio system, is $39,975. A front-wheel-drive XC90, scheduled to go on sale in the first quarter of 2003, will be priced at $33,350. The destination charge for all models is $625.

Powering the XC90 is a light pressure, turbocharged inline five-cylinder engine that generates 208 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 236 lb-ft of torque from 1500-4500 rpm. The XC90 AWD T6 is motivated by a more powerful twin-turbocharged inline-six-cylinder engine that makes 268 horsepower at 5100 rpm and 280 lb-ft of torque from 1800-5000 rpm.

"Our designers and development engineers have shown great creativity in designing an SUV that optimizes all the inherent virtues of an SUV -- versatility, capacity, driving position -- with interior and exterior styling which is very distinctive and attractive," says Vic Doolan, President and CEO of Volvo Cars of North America. "At the same time they exercised conscience and consideration to ensuring the XC90 leads the segment in terms of safety for all occupants and consideration for all road users, environmental care, and performance when it matters."

With 75 years of safety innovation behind it, the Volvo XC90 certainly aims to be the next-generation SUV. Incorporating the world's first Roll Stability Control (RSC) system, pretension seatbelts in all seating positions, an inflatable side curtain for the third-row seats, and an integrated sliding center booster seat for children, along with a high-strength Boron steel roof structure, the XC90 combines active and passive safety systems into one efficient package. Additional standard safety features include Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DSTC), anti-lock brakes, WHIPS, Volvo's whiplash protection seats, and Volvo’s side-impact protection system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0208volvo_xc90.jpeg (8.2 KB, 255 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2002, 22:01   #2 (permalink)

2003 Volvo XC90 Review

2003 Volvo XC90

By MARK VAUGHN

2003 VOLVO XC90
ON SALE: November 2002
PRICE: $45,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 2.9-liter, 268-hp twin-turbo I6; awd, four-speed automatic
0 TO 60 MPH: 8.2 seconds (est.)
AW MPG, CITY/HWY: 17/21 (est.)

In SUV-speak, “Medium Premium” refers to all luxo-crossover-not-for- serious-rock-crawling sport/utilities based on passenger cars aimed at semi-wealthy suburban soccer parents. That’s where Volvo’s XC90 fits. Buyers there want lots of room, plenty of safety stuff and an exterior that says, “I am not a soccer parent!” The XC90 delivers all three.

First, the lots of room part. The XC90 has 145.4 cubic feet of it according to the SAE’s “roominess index,” of which as much as 93.2 cubic feet can be cargo space if the second and third row of seats are laid flat. Yes, the XC90 has a third row of seats (it can also be ordered with just two rows), so it can officially hold up to seven people. In the ’80s it was cupholders, in the ’90s, doors and in the ’00s it seems to be third-row seats. One is an integrated child booster seat for toddlers that not only flips out from the middle seat but slides forward for better nose-wiping access by front-seat parents.
Those third-row seats face forward, too (with limited headroom), and the floor is flat when all the seats are folded down.

Other XC90 pluses include an optional flip-down DVD player; a tailgate that splits into 70/30 proportions; storage pockets and cupholders all over; the list goes on.

Volvo loves to yap about safety, too. To the yaw-control systems that are becoming increasingly common, Volvo adds its own Roll-Over Protection System. ROPS uses a torque sensor mounted in the floor to detect when the car starts to rotate about its longitudinal axis, or roll. The system then independently applies brakes to understeer the XC90 out of trouble. We tried to roll the thing and couldn’t. Expect to see ROPS in Ford SUVs soon. Also, the inflatable side curtain airbags go all the way to the third-row seats. And the third-row seats have three-point belts with belt tensioners and head restraints.

The XC90 shares most of its mechanicals and powertrains with Volvo full-size sedans. The larger of the two engines offered, the twin-turbo 268-hp 2.9-liter inline six, comes straight from the S80 T6, with a few tweaks to flatten out the torque curve for a 5000-pound towing capacity. There is also a light-pressure turbocharged 208-hp 2.5-liter five-cylinder, tuned for more torque as well. Either engine sits transversely, crammed as far forward as the engineers could cram it in order to maximize passenger space. There’s so little room that the inline six has to make do with a four-speed automatic transmission. The five-cylinder models get five-speed automatics.

The all-wheel-drive system is developed by Haldex and is shared with the S60. It splits torque with electronic engagement of the mechanical differential. Coupled with Dynamic Stability and traction control, you should make it to any soccer game, in any weather.

We spent a long day driving XC90s on twisting two-lanes and found it to be surprisingly tight for such a large SUV. Body roll was nicely controlled, and very little road noise crept into the cabin. It was actually fun, in an SUV sort of way.

XC90s hit the showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2002, with all-wheel drive coming first followed by front-drivers in early 2003. Volvo anticipates 30 to 40 percent of the 39,250 SUVs it sells in 2003 will have front-wheel drive. Prices start in the mid-$30,000s for a base model; fully loaded models should top out in the mid-$40,000s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0805-volvo4.jpeg (17.4 KB, 2 views)

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Latest Ford News and Racing News > Ford Worldwide News