1988 t-bird compatible parts? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 22:56   #1 (permalink)

Question 1988 t-bird compatible parts?

I have this money-pit bird that i got for a song right, but its givin' me a headache. I love the car, but I'm tired of dumping money into it. What I'm lookin for at this point is maybe some info on other fords with compatible parts...

Is there anything else with the same differential? exhaust? Engine?Mine is the Automatic 5 liter V8.

A friend has a torn up '93 I can pull some parts off of( its a long drive and I'm not sure if its worth it) I know a guy with a crown vic thats totaled in the front end, a 97 I think, but its an all or none deal, if I want the diff, I gotta take the heap of scrap car.

I also need a fuel pressure regulator, and god knows what else is gonna go out.

Or should I just sell it and get into something else?

I hope this nets me some info<crosses fingers>
Otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 12:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1988 t-bird compatible parts?

Good luck with the parts. I can offer nothing but sympathy. I have owned since new a 1988 T-bird Sport with a 5.0 Litre V8 and automatic with all the toys that were available. It now has 330,000 km. on it and runs like a top. The body has a few rust spots but nothing serious.

Nothing lasts forever though and I've had to search for, pay for and repair/replace a few items. The cost of having a garage make repairs is very prohibitve for such an old car and to be honest I do a better job myself. Be very careful buying used parts because they are all 20 years old and are mostly worn out, that's when you can find them and are Ok with the price.

Unless you have the desire and the money to do a frame-off restoration I wouldn't put very much money into your old T-bird. I think you'd be better off finding something much newer to buy and repair.

One more thing: The Ford garages consider the 1988 T-bird as obsolete and do not stock most parts anymore leaving you stranded in the after-market zoo.

Good Luck amigo!
mgcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:13   #3 (permalink)

well an 85- 88 cougar is the same as 85-88 tbird, so i pulled a differential off of it, and now im driving just fine.

I think this fuel pressure regulator off of a taurus will work too.
Otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21   #4 (permalink)

Mark VII should also do the trick, i have pulled of a few parts from 88 mark VII's. Mostly engine pieces, i.e. 5.0 parts and mounts.
DQassassin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum