1989 thunderbird sc questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 23:07   #1 (permalink)

1989 thunderbird sc questions

I'm lookin at an 89 t-bird with a supercharger. It's a five speed and is all done up visually. The motor is stock from what I know, car has 150,000 on the clock but I was told that the motor was rebuilt recently. It has a bad head gasket and I can pick it up for about 2500, sound like a good deal? The clutch is new and is a stage II (don't remember the brand) has a cowl hood cobra rims drag radial rears and z rated up front that are about 80% and a roll cage. How are these cars performance wise and is there a good amount of aftermarket support for them? I have a truck that runs in the 13's so I don't want a dog of a car. It's alright if I gotta pay some to get it a little mor competetive but I want to make sure there are parts out there to do it. Oh ya it's a 3.8 v6 (don't know if they had any other motors that year)

Thanks Richard
Foxracing0934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 15:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1989 thunderbird sc questions

If your expecting 13's with the stock S.C. forget it. 15.4 - 15.7 at 88 - 90 M.P.H. is all it
does without serious modifications. That is a propriatory car and very little if any after
market parts are avalable for it unless you join the S.C. club. The 3.8 motor for the S.C.
is not the same as the standard 3.8. $2500.00 for that car is about $1500.00 too much.
Then with a bad head gasket i'd barter some more. There is more than replacing a head
gasket. There is proper prep of the block and old head or you will do it again. I'd offer
the seller $800.00.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
If your expecting 13's with the stock S.C. forget it. 15.4 - 15.7 at 88 - 90 M.P.H. is all it
does without serious modifications. That is a propriatory car and very little if any after
market parts are avalable for it unless you join the S.C. club. The 3.8 motor for the S.C.
is not the same as the standard 3.8. $2500.00 for that car is about $1500.00 too much.
Then with a bad head gasket i'd barter some more. There is more than replacing a head
gasket. There is proper prep of the block and old head or you will do it again. I'd offer
the seller $800.00.
I completly agree with replacing the headgasket and the price, if it has a blown headgasket there might be more wrong, $800-1,000 seems more like it. But i dont know about the 15.4, my car is a standard 3.8, and does 0-60 in 4 secs. But i have a shift kit and almost every part under the hood has been upgraded to performance parts. You name it.....its upgraded.
Old 06-21-2009, 20:51   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker_king View Post
I completly agree with replacing the headgasket and the price, if it has a blown headgasket there might be more wrong, $800-1,000 seems more like it. But i dont know about the 15.4, my car is a standard 3.8, and does 0-60 in 4 secs. But i have a shift kit and almost every part under the hood has been upgraded to performance parts. You name it.....its upgraded.
I know one thing you failed to upgrade, your stopwatch...
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51   #5 (permalink)

JWKO. You beat me to it again. Could be a specially made watch just for the
thunderbirds. I find 0 - 60 in 4 seconds hard to beleive on a car that weighs 3536 lbs.
considering the 1968 Cobra with a 427 does 5.4 and the 1968 Cobra 428 C.J. does 5.7
and the 1971 Nascar 428 built for the Daytona 500 does 6.5 zerro to sixty. But we could
be wrong. Must be one hell of an up grade to a 190 H.P. motor. Stranger things have
happend though. Might be possible. I personally dought it but it might be possible.
Just my opinion. I'd like to hear the sound system.
Old 06-23-2009, 19:37   #6 (permalink)

Well i might be 1 or 2 secs off. I just stop at a red light and count from the moment it turns green, one one thousand two one thousand and so fourth. But you get what im talking about. Trust me....the shift kit really helps, its fun to leave a little 5.0 mustang behind

Right now i cant turn my system all the way up(need a better altenator, volt meter goes almost to zero) but you still cant hear the person next to you shouting. hehe
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36   #7 (permalink)

Speaker King. Here is something you might want to look into. A bunch of guys including
my nephews use deep cycle batteries for their car audio systems. A deep cycle battery
will produce it's full rated amp load in a continuous draw untill the battery goes dead.
It doesn't peter out on a slow death like a regular car battery. It will continue to produce 12 volts at what ever amp. load for a complete hour. EXP. a 200 amp. hour battery deap cycle will produce 200 A. at 12 volts for one hour. The voltage will not drop and the amperage wil not drop. WARNING. DO NOT short the teminals together
just to see the spark on a deap cycle. You will see a spark like you would never believe.
Probably also have no wire left or missing a finger. Mind you those batteries are heavy.
Oh yah. Don't use a deap cycle for the regular car battery. deap cycle doesn't like
a continuous charge from your alt. like a regular battery.
Old 06-24-2009, 15:02   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, i had a Duralast 1000cca deep cycle before, but it eventually died and wouldnt keep a charge. Im going to get another one along with a better altenator. Right now i only have a 650ca battery and the factory rebuilt altenator. But i can have a 190amp altn built for $120. So i might jump on that.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum