1991 Ford T-Bird Heating Problem? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:36   #1 (permalink)

confused 1991 Ford T-Bird Heating Problem?

Ok, I have a problem with my 1991 thunderbird heating. What I mean is when the car is running for over atleast an hour and driving etc.. The defrost, heater, or heater will only blow semi warm air.. Plus the temperature guage will just move a little bit above the blue.. I have replaced the thermos stat twice both were 185. I have also installed a new fan clutch. I do a have a block heater in which I use at nights to keep the engine warm.. Does anyone know WHY it blows semi warm air and sometimes cold.. ??

Thanks!
FredHarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 19:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1991 Ford T-Bird Heating Problem?

Two possibilities:

1) Coolant level is low, preventing good coolant circulation through the heater core. If this is the case, have the system pressure tested, as this is indicative of an internal coolant leak through a damaged head gasket. This is quite common among the 3.8L V6 T-bird.

2) If the coolant level is fine, there may be blockage in the heater core. Have the system reversed flushed to clear any sediment. If that doesn't fix the problem, you'll have to replace the heater core.

Edit:
3) The ductwork in the car is controlled by vacuum lines that connect to the heating/ac controls in the dashboard. A leak could result in the fan pulling outside air into the car. If this is the case, you should be able to hear the whistling from the vacuum lines. Check under the passenger side of the dashboard, where several of the vacuum lines run. One of them may have been kicked loose by a restless leg.

Last edited by janeuner; 01-16-2009 at 19:49. Reason: Third possibility
janeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07   #3 (permalink)

You don't tell us what motor you have. If you have a 3.8 you should use the proper
thermostat for that motor which you don't have. If you a 5lt. you still have the wrong stat. Need more info.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
You don't tell us what motor you have. If you have a 3.8 you should use the proper
thermostat for that motor which you don't have. If you a 5lt. you still have the wrong stat. Need more info.
I forgot about that it is a 3.8 .. The thermostat that was installed last year I was told it was a 185? I do not know much about thermostats so that my friend is all I can say..
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18   #5 (permalink)

That motor calls for a 192. Next time you have it apart check to see what you have.
Except for the F.E. blocks that motor is BAD for air locks. Make sure the cooling system
is completely bleed.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:24   #6 (permalink)

confused Re: 1991 Ford T-Bird Heating Problem?

There is another problem with this heating system, as soon as I start the car the fan is always running.. I think that this has something to do with the heat in the car not being to good. As soon as you start the car when it is cold the fan is NOT supposed to be on until the rad is at normal temperature.. Does anyone know what this could be, why the fan does not shut off..? I replaced the fan clutch.. But still no good..
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
That motor calls for a 192. Next time you have it apart check to see what you have.
Except for the F.E. blocks that motor is BAD for air locks. Make sure the cooling system
is completely bleed.
The one that was put in there last year was only a 185. I called NAPA where I get my parts from and they said that I need a 195 OEM thermostat. I will put it in later this week.. Another question about my fan. The fan is run from a fan clutch, now as soon as the car is started the fan is always running. Is this normal? The mechanic that put it in told me that the fan is uspposed to shut off when the rad is at normal operation temperature??

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredHarding View Post
The one that was put in there last year was only a 185. I called NAPA where I get my parts from and they said that I need a 195 OEM thermostat. I will put it in later this week.. Another question about my fan. The fan is run from a fan clutch, now as soon as the car is started the fan is always running. Is this normal? The mechanic that put it in told me that the fan is uspposed to shut off when the rad is at normal operation temperature??

Thanks!
The fan will always spin, the clutch adjust the amount of force that is needed to cool the radiator.

How cold is it where you are?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:47   #9 (permalink)

confused Re: 1991 Ford T-Bird Heating Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
The fan will always spin, the clutch adjust the amount of force that is needed to cool the radiator.

How cold is it where you are?
Today it is -10.. last week it was -30 to -36 though. I live NB, here it is much colder then where I used to live..
Old 01-19-2009, 15:20   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredHarding View Post
Today it is -10.. last week it was -30 to -36 though. I live NB, here it is much colder then where I used to live..
-30 to -36C?

That is major cold.

I think we've found your problem!

Your going to have to block off some of the air flow through the radiator.

Try putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator covering at least half of the surface area.

Don't forget it's there in warmer weather or you will likely overheat.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum