Ford Forums banner

1994 4.6 auto trans drops in and out of overdrive

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  r-clar 
#1 ·
every so often trans drops out of overdrive,its not downshifting.Overdrive off light does not come on when this happens.Its almost like it goes into neutral and revs high untill i kick the gas padel or floor it,then it goes back into overdrive.Sometimes it gets so that i need to go out of overdrive for a few seconds and back for it to stop.IT's like its hunting for gears.Changed filter and trans oil and oil was clean.Cars got about 65 thousand miles and besides that runs like a champ.Its not a everyday thing, i can go weeks without a problem. I drive once a month to Az about 300 miles 1 way and maintain 25 miles to the gallon running at 75/80 mph.It happens more on flat land then the mountains going up the 15 and 40.I been told it could be a censer and or the converter.Being intermitent i dont think its the converter,besides that problem it shifts like a charm,I ran a code scanner that they use to read codes for check engine light comeing,but never puts out any codes for trans.On a 94 do they even scan trans for codes and could it tell me whats going on?
Thanks for any info
94bluethunder

#2 ·
I had the same thing happen to me in my 96 bird, and it didnt end well. it did that for about a month until finally the o/d light started flashing and the car lost 3rd and 4th gears. more then likely you will need to replace your transmission. use Car-Parts.com its a fantastic website for used parts. you can pull a good tranny off that website for like 250-400 dollars

#3 ·
My car did this took it to a dealer after a month of headaches. Its the nsbu switch ( neutral saftey back up) or range selection sensor for the transmission. have replaced it twice on my t-bird. Car has 350,000 miles. The second time it went out wouldn't start in park when hot but would in neutral.

#13 ·
Not off hand. Best to find someone reliable and trustworthy to take a look first. Then need to decide what you want to do with it. Could try for a used unit, buy a rebuilt unit or have yours rebuilt or repaired. Cheapest will be used unit but you don't always know what you are getting. Has anyone else gone for a ride to give another opinion?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.