1997 Thunderbird windshield wipers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 15:45   #1 (permalink)

1997 Thunderbird windshield wipers

Hey fellas, I could use a little help. Someone stole my dad's T-Bird and ripped out the wiper blades. I'm trying to replace them, but can't get the arms off. Instead of a tab, like on most blades, there's just a pin going through a springloaded 2-piece arm. How do I get this damn thing off?
bottleliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 16:46   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1997 Thunderbird windshield wipers

Are you trying to pull the blade from the arm or the arm from pivot near the firewall?

Removal and Installation
1. Note: To prevent glass or paint damage, do not pry windshield wiper pivot arm (#5) from windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft (#3) with metal or sharp tool.

Raise the windshield wiper blade end of the windshield wiper pivot arm off of the windshield glass.

2. Move the slide latch away from the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft and slowly lower the arm onto the latch. This will unlock the windshield wiper pivot arm from the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft and hold the windshield wiper blade end of the windshield wiper pivot arm off of the glass at the same time.

3. Pull windshield wiper pivot arm off of the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft without the aid of any tools.

4. To install, align the keyway on the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft with the windshield wiper pivot arm.

5. Push windshield wiper pivot arm onto windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft. Make sure the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft are in PARK position.

6. While applying downward pressure on the windshield wiper pivot arm head to ensure full seating, raise the other end of the windshield wiper pivot arm (#1) sufficiently to allow the latch to slide under windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft to the latched position using finger pressure only to slide latch.

7. Lower the windshield wiper blade (#6) to the windshield. If the windshield wiper blade does not touch the windshield glass, the slide latch is not completely in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wipers.jpg (102.7 KB, 11 views)
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 14:32   #3 (permalink)
"Xero In"

rtg143 has it right. I have the same car and I had the same issue with my wiper blades. It took me like 15 minutes to get one on. lol.

Disrespect the T-Bird and get owned by its raw POWER!!!
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 21:10   #4 (permalink)
Master Mechanic

Good luck with those. I'm not one to let my wife jump all over something, but she had to get the wipers off lmao. She has owned 3 birds thus far and this is my first.
ThunderPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum