2003 Ford Thunderbird Igntion System Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 16:05   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ford Thunderbird Igntion System Problem

I've been trying to diagnose a P0356 (Ignition Coil 6 Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction) on a friends 03' Tbird 3.9L. Car had P0303,305,307,316,357,358 and P0133 codes when it was brought to me. I started at the battery, had to clean it up. R&R spark plugs, 3 were fouled (#3,5,7). R&R Fuel and Air Filter. Noticed that 5 coils were already replaced, probably by dealer per TSB. Once I did all that I reset codes and performed drive cycle. Felt miss during idle and pending code popped up, P0358. I swapped coils around cleared codes/drive cycled and pending code again, this time P0356. So I thought replace coil. Same thing happened after it was replaced, P0356. So I ohm, voltage dropped, pin pointed, measured kV's on all secondary sides of coils (even though I can't find a spec on what the reading should be), and everything from power & ground side circuit of #6 coil to the PCM. I cannot find anything wrong with any wiring or coil. But I'm not sure how to determine if it's the PCM Circuit Driver or not. Has anyone came across a problem like this or know which direction I can take next?
Read more at: DTC P0356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Read more at: DTC P0356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
Tonyhuss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 18:30   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2003 Ford Thunderbird Igntion System Problem

It was the PCM, the problem shouldn't have moved with the coil. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm wondering if a leaking intake gasket could do this. I know it can cause a misfire, but depending on how they're actually measuring the coil performance, I can see this happening. Try this: Move swap the coil with another from the opposite side and check the plugs for fouling again. Not sure what's going on, but, so far, the symptoms aren't pointing to the PCM.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum