73 with 460 high revs when cold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:20   #1 (permalink)

73 with 460 high revs when cold

Hello all. I have a triple-black '73 Thunderbird with a little over 93K miles. It has the optional (for '73) 460ci engine. The car is completely stock and runs beautifully. However, on colder morings (below about 45 degrees) when you mash the gas pedal to set the choke before starting, the engine will race like mad when you start it. That's a darn good way to skip a link on the timing chain and it's it horrible for the cylinders. If I mash the pedal again quickly after it starts, it seems to disengage the choke and the idle comes way down to almost stall. I can apply the slightest pressure on the gas pedal to make it idle better, but if I push a tiny bit too far, it seems to engage the choke again and races like mad. Repeat procedure to bring the idle back down. It only takes a minute or so for it to "warm up" so that it doesnt race when you push the gas pedal. Then, it idles fine and cruises beautifully - no sputtering, caughing or anything. Other than the cold start issue, this car is simply amazing! Here's a link to some pictures of it 1973 Ford Thunderbird Triple black - Florida

In warmer weather, it doesnt race so bad on cold start-up, but it still seems too high. I do not have a shop manual and I dont know how to adjust the carb or set the choke so that it idles properly upon startup without racing. It has a Motorcraft 4 barrel - probably the original.

Ideas?

-Kent
BigFordBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum