79 Thunderbird 302 to 460 BB swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 18:26   #1 (permalink)
Tbird Freak

Smile 79 Thunderbird 302 to 460 BB swap

Hi Folks,

Seriousely wanting to take on a new project to try and revive my old 79 Tbird with a tired leaky ol 302.....I also have a 78 Lincoln continental I have been recently parting out on ebay....The body was shot and the trans was toast, but the ol A code 460 runs like a wild hog just waiting for something decent to drop it down into and raise hell on some blacktop. I have another C6 in inventory for this engine, What I am looking to do is to bolt this engine and tranny together and try and drop it in my bird, was looking for anyone that might have either done this before, or someone that could tell me what needs to be done, parts to get, and how much more power this 460 will put out over a stock 302...any help would be seriousely appreciated
james09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 06:49   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 79 Thunderbird 302 to 460 BB swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by james09
Hi Folks,

Seriousely wanting to take on a new project to try and revive my old 79 T-bird with a tired leaky ol 302.....I also have a 78 Lincoln Continental I have been recently parting out on ebay....The body was shot and the trans was toast, but the old A code 460 runs like a wild hog just waiting for something decent to drop it down into and raise hell on some blacktop. I have another C6 in inventory for this engine, What I am looking to do is to bolt this engine and tranny together and try and drop it in my bird, was looking for anyone that might have either done this before, or someone that could tell me what needs to be done, parts to get, and how much more power this 460 will put out over a stock 302...any help would be seriousely appreciated
Just a guess, but I'd say look at the front suspension and the crossmember. If they look the same you may be able to do it... but, you would need some stronger front springs to handle the extra weight of a 460. If the suspension were the same I'd say swap the springs. You need the all the mounts and brackets. You should also have the trans. crossmember for the Lincoln handy. Do plenty of measuring. You will certainly get more HP and torque. An untouched 78' 460 should get around 202 HP an 355 lb-ft of torque. Better than the 302's 134 HP and 248 lb-ft of torque.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Tbird Freak

Re: 79 Thunderbird 302 to 460 BB swap

So in other words a 460 with a 4 barell would be an awesome upgrade as opposed to a 302? Im seriousely looking for an upgrade to really make this thing into a groundpounder. The 460 runs sweet, So sweet in fact that im not gonna even rebuild it...The Lincoln its in now only has 84,XXX miles on it...One thing is that the motor mounts and front crossmember as well as the whole front end for that matter look the same. anything else I should take into consideration??? Frame and body bracing? After much consideration...Im going to go ahead with the swap, I want to do it right...Ive changed engines before for the same ones or pulled and did rebuilds and dropped them back in.....but have never taken on something so radical...Seen a 460 in a Pinto once so I know it will work in my 79 tbird
james09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum