87 thunderbird Turbo charged question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 20:21   #1 (permalink)

87 thunderbird Turbo charged question

I just picked up a 87 thunderbird supercoupe, i was wounder if anyone knows a how much psi can this engine handle. I dont know if the engines differ from car to car, but the engine in my car is a 2.3. I plan on getting a boost controller and turning up the psi, i just need to know how much this baby can hold. Thanks for the help!!

Also, any other information about mods for this car would be helpful.
Mike6961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 00:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: 87 thunderbird Turbo charged question

well i have an 88 TC and really you should only run 17-18 psi is what i would do i mean it can take alil more but usually at a cost id do 18 psi cuz anything over that is gonna shorten the life of the turbo and can cause other problems so idealy 18 is the best to go with other upgrades whether youve found out by now or not are hard to come by but these are the things that i have done to mine and if u plan on doing them id do them in this order first is the K&N Cone Air Filter it costs about $50 and will add about 6-10hp and maybe add about 1-2psi of boost next im runnin the Rick Gillis Boost Valve which was like $48 i set mine to 18psi and its said you get about 6-10hp for each psi of boost and i know you said you were gonna get a boost controller and if you are I really think you should purchase this one its cheap reliable and preety easy to put on and for the money this is about the best bang for your buck your gonna get cuz your looking at possibly gaining like 40hp for $48 no other mods gonna give you that the next thing id do is get a completely diff. exhaust set up itll be one of the more costly mods but will help alot i have a 3" downpipe into my catalytic converter and it splits into dual 2.5" out the back with dynomax mufflers then the last thing i can think of doing would be to get a bigger fuel pump Walbro make some good pumps that come in different size variations this is something you should do especially if you plan on running more than 18psi of boost other than this any other mods your looking at are gonna be preety costly and most will require alot of customizing and fabricating which i really aint into ive done all of the above mods except the fuel pump and i dont really plan on doing anything else except maybe cosmetic work if you got any questions on any other mods just ask or go to http://www.turbotbird.com/ which is basically where i got all the info on mods for my tbird and the people there prob. no alot more than me about TC if your really gonna get into changing it drastically.
sk8er629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum