87 Turbo Coupe Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 21:00   #1 (permalink)

87 Turbo Coupe Help

I recently bought an 87 Turbo Coupe. It's in pretty good condition, a few dents and some clear coat damage. The interior is good. The passenger side door is probably the worst (torn up panels and the door doesnt completly close- a spring is broken) I'm searching and saving for a replacement now.

I think the head gasket is bad, and I am planning on replacing it.

The A/C runs constantly just so the fan is blowing cold air on the engine so the head gasket doesn't get to hot but I have noticed that occasionaly the driver side foot vent will either leak of blow out water. Could this be because the drain for condensation is clogged??? If so where can I locate the drain? ??

I have had the car for about 2 months. I replaced the altenator and battery. One day I was driving and realized that it sounded funny while idleing and wasn't taking to the pedal well. My first thought was a tranny problem but when I put it in park and let it idle I noticed it was idleing at about 500 RPM's more then usual. I popped the hood and noticed the PCV valve hose was disconected so I bought a new fitting for it. Once I did that the check engine light turned off.

Also while driving the console power cuts on and off. The radio, clock, and windshield wipers loose power. It has also occasionaly died on me and I thought that that was caused from a bad ingition cylinder because the power would turn back on if I jiggled the keys. After replacing the cylinder the problem still occured what other problem areas can I check???

The first day I had it I came to a stop and decided to try the firm ride control (when the turbo comes on the firm ride kicks in but it also has a switch to set it all the time) After driving about 4 blocks down a straight road I smelled a funny smell and turned the street to my house. When I parked I noticed smoke from the driver side rear tire. So I turned the firm ride off, took the tire off and looked around just to see if a brake pad was rubbing or something since the previous owner told me they replaced them. I saw nothing. Put the tire on and took it out later that day and it did it again. It sat for a day until I could look at it and it didn't do it again since then and I did nothing to it. I haven't turned the firm ride back on but I have no problem when it kicks its self on should I go back and look for something or let it be???

Also recently I noticed that between 25 and 30 is when it shifts and at this point in time the turbo kicks in but recently its been hesitant and jerks. This is my first turbocharged car and didn't know what the problem could be. If its tranny like I think I'll buy a new one, but until then I'll get some Lucas for it.

Please, if any one knows a possible solution for any of my questions please tell me. I am starting to like this car more then I thought I would, and I'd love to do more work to it.

Last edited by tbird100636; 09-30-2008 at 20:36. Reason: Spelling
crazyeyeschase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 17:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 87 Turbo Coupe Help

So im sure you all think im some stupid kid and really i am i dont know much about cars i have swaped an engine and tranny ive also replace a distributer a hole front end allignment (tie rods,pitman rods, so forth) and alot of other things normal people dont change. I dont like going to mechanics and i love to learn new things so i do all my work on my own.

So today since i havent gotten any answers i decided to tinker i decided to change my spark plugs and after doing so it caused my idaling problem and also a few other driving problems. The old sparks were fine but were off fap by about .010. I also noticed the hood lamp didnt work after pulling the intercooler off i noticed the wire for the hood lamp was melted so i spliced it fixed it and replaced the bulb but it still doesnt work. I pulled all my fuses and they are all good. While pulling fuses i also noticed the floor lamp on the passenger side wasnt working either.

I figure the power cuts off because either a bad ground or positive but where is it? I dont feel like pulling the dash out without possibly knowing the problem i am going to replace all the speakers and stereo some da but until i have the money i dont want to do things twice.

Now i tried to pay more attention to the power cutting on and off. if i turn corners it affects the power if it doesnt come back on i can move the keys foward and it will turn on. Since i replaced the cylinder i know its not it since it still does it so does any one else have any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2008, 21:05   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 87 Turbo Coupe Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyeschase View Post
I recently bought an 87 Turbo Coupe. It's in pretty good condition, a few dents and some clear coat damage. The interior is good. The passenger side door is probably the worst (torn up panels and the door doesnt completly close- a spring is broken) I'm searching and saving for a replacement now.

I think the head gasket is bad, and I am planning on replacing it.

The A/C runs constantly just so the fan is blowing cold air on the engine so the head gasket doesn't get to hot but I have noticed that occasionaly the driver side foot vent will either leak of blow out water. Could this be because the drain for condensation is clogged??? If so where can I locate the drain? ??

I have had the car for about 2 months. I replaced the altenator and battery. One day I was driving and realized that it sounded funny while idleing and wasn't taking to the pedal well. My first thought was a tranny problem but when I put it in park and let it idle I noticed it was idleing at about 500 RPM's more then usual. I popped the hood and noticed the PCV valve hose was disconected so I bought a new fitting for it. Once I did that the check engine light turned off.

Also while driving the console power cuts on and off. The radio, clock, and windshield wipers loose power. It has also occasionaly died on me and I thought that that was caused from a bad ingition cylinder because the power would turn back on if I jiggled the keys. After replacing the cylinder the problem still occured what other problem areas can I check???

The first day I had it I came to a stop and decided to try the firm ride control (when the turbo comes on the firm ride kicks in but it also has a switch to set it all the time) After driving about 4 blocks down a straight road I smelled a funny smell and turned the street to my house. When I parked I noticed smoke from the driver side rear tire. So I turned the firm ride off, took the tire off and looked around just to see if a brake pad was rubbing or something since the previous owner told me they replaced them. I saw nothing. Put the tire on and took it out later that day and it did it again. It sat for a day until I could look at it and it didn't do it again since then and I did nothing to it. I haven't turned the firm ride back on but I have no problem when it kicks its self on should I go back and look for something or let it be???

Also recently I noticed that between 25 and 30 is when it shifts and at this point in time the turbo kicks in but recently its been hesitant and jerks. This is my first turbocharged car and didn't know what the problem could be. If its tranny like I think I'll buy a new one, but until then I'll get some Lucas for it.

Please, if any one knows a possible solution for any of my questions please tell me. I am starting to like this car more then I thought I would, and I'd love to do more work to it.
For the A/C drain, start at the A/C and heater line connections and work your way down. You will see the drain nipple. Use compressed air to blow it out. For your radio wipers and clock, where you say in your next post moving the key cylinder slightly causes the stuff to turn back on- that would be an ignition switch issue rather than a lock cylinder, which you replaced. The procedure to replace the ignition switch is detailed in the Chiltons Thunderbird/Cougar 1983-97 repair manual, which I am looking at right now. You have an 87, so you probably won't have to drill out the switch bolts according to this.
For the smoke when you have the firm ride on, either the shock itself is bad or the actuator on the top of it is. Turn the firm ride on with the wheel off and you should see the smoke from the shock or actuator on top.
You honestly don't have the best typing skills (did some corrections to your original post in case anybody else chimes in). I'm having a hard time understanding wether or not the spark plugs fixed your idleing problems.
Another point. This forum isn't as widely visited or frequented by many people for about 3 or so years, as many of the members were from Austrailia and had a dispute and decided to leave here for another forum. I try to get on here everyday if possible, but I have other forums I have to frequent. What I am trying to say is, don't expect an answer imeadiately. There are some experts like me on here, but not all the time. Don't join expecting an answer right away, then not come back for good when you don't get an answer right away. Give it a little time. Not every question goes unanswered.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 22:14   #4 (permalink)

Sorry about the typing. I am usualey pretty busy and just type i dont ever really pay anyattention ill try harder.

Yes the sparks fixed the idle problem. It would choke up and sometimes die before the RPM's would jump sparaticly and now it idles fine.

I will look at the ignition switch problem and ill also loof for the drain im pretty sure i know what your talking about but it would of been easier to do when i had the intercooler off earlier but thats ok.

Yes i know that i may or may not get a quick answer the problem is i have the money now and if im going to spend it ide like to fix the car or else it would get spent on some other crap i dont need.

Now on the "firm ride" problem like i said it only happend that one day and it doesnt do it when it automaticaly kicks in. Tomorro ill try driving around with it on and see if it begins to happen again.

I dont plan on just leavin this forum from what ive seen it can help me alot. i like the car and would like to get it back into shape.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34   #5 (permalink)

Where is the ignition swtch located? From what i know it should be located behind some of the panals on the driver side. I am a very hand on person i can usualey figure it out if i have the new part in hand but i dont right now at least and before i start taring stuff out ide like to be able to find it.
Old 10-01-2008, 14:19   #6 (permalink)

Just wanted to say i figured it out thanks alot to tbird100636 the ignition switch was actualey inside the driving shaft right next to the cylinder. The anti theft bolts got me con fused but a trip to auto zone made my tool collection a bit larger lol. The problem is fixed though.

Can you tell what one is good and what one was bad?

Old 10-01-2008, 16:28   #7 (permalink)

Ok so since i have the day off i wanted to fix some more things.Such as the passenger side door thats been giving me heck.

Ok so the window doesnt roll down but the motor works i took the door panel off and noticed that the grips or what ever they are called arnt glued onto the glass so whats the best ir recomended glue to use?

Also the door lock ill add pics soon doesnt lock the safty lock works but the top jaw is stuck im not sure what is wrong but its stuck and a spring is broken the screws are kinda striped out and ill have to mess with them latter but whats the best way of replacing this?

heres some pics.

door wont close all the way

Bad spring hanging down

top jaw stuck

glasss appears to be off track is that right?

better pic of the glass off track

yellow window grip not attatched to window

old glue spot and window grip
Old 10-01-2008, 21:27   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyeschase View Post
Just wanted to say i figured it out thanks alot to tbird100636 the ignition switch was actualey inside the driving shaft right next to the cylinder. The anti theft bolts got me con fused but a trip to auto zone made my tool collection a bit larger lol. The problem is fixed though.

Can you tell what one is good and what one was bad?

Looks like the one on the right is falling apart.
Old 10-01-2008, 21:36   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

The yellow grip thing is the window lift plate. There was an adhesive my old Dodge dealer bought instead of the stuff Chrysler recommended to glue new lift plates onto LH vehicle front door glass. It was made by a company called Winzer or Wintzer, I can't remember which, take the glass completely out and bring it and the seperated lift plate to a glass company. They may be able to help you out. As for the door latch, get an impact screwdriver kit. You basicall hold it firm to the screws and hammer on the end of it. It should break the screws loose. You can try hammering on a regular screwdriver but an impact type will work best. That way, you can remove the latch and try to fix it.
Old 10-01-2008, 22:08   #10 (permalink)

I will look into the window glue a little more i just dont want to use anyting that will eat away at the plastic lift plate ill look around, Does it seem to be off track?

I was going to see if i could fix the latch i just didnt quite know how to do it i haent worked with them. I dont have any impack screw divers in my set i just moved back to ks and didnt have room for most of the tools i collected/made so yeah. My step dad works tomorrow he may have n impact screwdriver if not i might chance my luck with a reg screwdriver. Thanks alot ill inform you tomorrow what i do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum