88 T-Bird Crankcase Breather - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 14:35   #1 (permalink)

88 T-Bird Crankcase Breather

The OEM PCV valve (EV127A) does not work well in my 2.3L Turbo. I get huge plumes of smoke out the exhaust at highway speeds and sluggish performance when engaging the turbo.

The part I took off was a crankcase breather, part number E6ZE-6A785. This part seems to come from high performance vehicles but I cannot find a vendor for this thing anywhere.

If someone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate the help. I'd love to get my 88 T-Bird back into top performance again.
ComputrGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 21:50   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 88 T-Bird Crankcase Breather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputrGeek View Post
The OEM PCV valve (EV127A) does not work well in my 2.3L Turbo. I get huge plumes of smoke out the exhaust at highway speeds and sluggish performance when engaging the turbo.

The part I took off was a crankcase breather, part number E6ZE-6A785. This part seems to come from high performance vehicles but I cannot find a vendor for this thing anywhere.

If someone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate the help. I'd love to get my 88 T-Bird back into top performance again.
Ford dealer??? Where exactly did you remove it from??? Should be from the tube that goes from the upper intake down.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:00   #3 (permalink)

Re: 88 T-Bird Crankcase Breather

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.

The breather was where the PCV valve would normally go. I assume it was put there for the same problem I'm having now with the PCV valve.

I'm actually wondering now if the now properly functioning PCV valve is causing the oil to blow out small leaks in the head or valve cover gasket somewhere. The pressure that was not building in the engine due to the lack of valve is now there. Does that sound logical?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:56   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You removed the crankcase breather & replaced it with a pcv valve? You can't do that, it will create a vacuum in the crankcase.

I'm betting you already had a pcv valve

According to Autozone;

On your 1988 Ford Thunderbird (2.3L FI Turbo), the PCV Valve is located:

Under hood, center, upper engine area, driver side of engine, between engine block and intake manifold, mounted in vacuum hose
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11   #5 (permalink)

No No. This breather was put in place of the original PCV valve. I looked up the part number and it is just a breather that fits in place of the PCV valve. It's rated for high performance vehicles. The problem is it was with the car when I got it 4 years ago so it needs to be replaced. I thought I'd put the original OEM part number in there but then started having issues like the one I stated above.
Old 01-26-2009, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 88 T-Bird Crankcase Breather

Ok, post some pictures on here of what you replaced, and where it was on the engine. Digital camera pictures are allot better than camera phone ones by the way.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 18:12   #7 (permalink)

Agree w/ the above poster. Have you changed the oil lately and forgot to spin the engine over (with-out ignition on), to get oil pressure to the turbo?? (blows the seal out!)
Just a suggestion..

Last edited by chuckles; 01-26-2009 at 18:15. Reason: ing. disabled
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum