88 t-bird turbo coupe. 2.3 turbo. lacks power. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 00:44   #1 (permalink)

Question 88 t-bird turbo coupe. 2.3 turbo. lacks power.

im new here so let me start off by saying hello. now my problem... i have a 88 turbo coupe 2.3 liter turbo/5 speed. the car runs well but lacks mid to upper power. it pulls hard untill about 3,500 rpms and then it just seems to flatten out. it will still get to 5,500-6,000 rpms it just takes a lot longer than it should. i have checked for trouble codes and there are not any. i did both the koeo and the koer tests. the timming is exactly were it should be(10 degrees btdc) i replaced the spark plugs with new motorcraft plugs, wires, cap, rotor, throttle possition sensor, all new high flow exhaust, air filter, tested fuel pressure and replaced filter, plus a few more things too. a few days ago i was cleaning out the throttle body with some brake cleaner, when i got it back together and took it for a drive it got up to 6,000 rpms fast and ran fast. this lasted about 20 minutes. then it started to flaten out again. just for kicks i sprayed some more brake cleaner into the throttle body and once again it ran hard and fast for about 15 minutes. could the brake cleaner be fooling a sensor?? if so, which one? i dont understand this. the car doesnt miss, it just flattens out at higher rpms. can anyone help me with this problem?? i would be very thankfull. i see a lot of these turbo coupes destroyed, beat up and abused. i want to try to save this one!
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 14:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: 88 t-bird turbo coupe. 2.3 turbo. lacks power.

Im only 16 but ive learned tons at www.turbotbird.com i learned about all the mods for my 88 TC their and alot of the guys their seem to be almost experts on the car if youd like id head over their to the message boards and ask that question im almost certain youd get a good answer from someone on the boards
sk8er629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum