88 Thunderbird Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
The Captian

88 Thunderbird Question

I have found an 88 thunderbird that is in great condition body wise an interior wise. The car has the 3.8 v6 motor in, an is in good running shape. The car has a short somewhere in the wiring system that causes the battery to drain fairly fast. My question is, can this car be made into a fairly good hotrod? I can get the car for 200 dollars from my cousin's dad. What would everyone suggest in the way of what i can do for x amount of money to make the car fairly fast. The car will not be my primary transportation, just a hobby to play with in my spare time. With that being said, im open to almost anything to try on the car. I also have the following extra parts laying around at my disposal.
1. 650 holley double pumper carb
2. Hooker equal length headers for 87-93 mustang GT
3. Factory mufflers from my 99 mustang GT

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the short? I don't know if the car had the ignition recall done on it or not, but that would be the first place i would look i assume. I haven't went an picked up the car yet, i will go an pick it up sometime in the next couple of weeks. Im thinking that the car has a 4 bolt lug pattern, at what level of HP should i consider going to 5 lug? If i do go with Injection, what years should i be trying to find as far as donor wise for motor an electronic an computer? If i do go FI will the wiring harness have to be changed from front to back? Is that a real major task to accomplish?
bamaredwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum