90 t-bird. headgasket replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 18:36   #1 (permalink)

90 t-bird. headgasket replacement

Hey guys i'm a nOOb to the ford scene. I'm a honda lover at heart, but my friend at work sold me his 90 thunderbird for 150 bucks so i couldnt pass it up. Needs the windows put back on track, rear tail lights only come on when brakes are used, no dash lights, dome lights. car has 133000 miles on it.
the guy told me he had a compression check done on it, and the right bank is bad, in other words bad HG. I checked the oil, not creamy, checked the coolant, its fine, no oil/water mixed. car runs fine, the idle is iffy at first crank, but once it gets going it seems fine.

my questions are, how can I check the HG as far as what tests i can do.
If it is a HG, how difficult is the job going to be.

window track,i dnt see a freakin way to get the widnow back on track.

i've done plenty of motor work on a 4 cyl to last me a life time, but have never touched a ford yet alone a 6 cyl. any input would be great!
mondo9psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 23:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: 90 t-bird. headgasket replacement

The window regulators have plastic clips at each end that holds the window in place.They break alot and/or the glue that held it in has just gave out.They screw into the regulator.Its quite simple to replace the clips(if u need to.) or just put glue in them and set the window back in the clips.Just use a good epoxy when putting back in and leave the window up for at least 24 hours to allow ample drying time.I found out by trial and error.As far as the rear lights.Did u check them?The dash is it digital?I ask that cause mine were all blown at the same time.I would check all the fuses even under the hood first.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:31   #3 (permalink)

seems to be a little confusion in your post. You probably have a 3.8 motor. Aluminum
heads. If the right bank is bad and assuming it is a head gasket how can the motor run
fine ? Doesn't make sence. Is there something you might have forgotten to tell us ?
chipset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12   #4 (permalink)

the guy i bought it from said it started missing so he took it to a shop and they did a compression side of the motor.(passenger). yes its a 3.8 v6. how hard is the procedure? it runs fine honestly. a little hard to start when cold, but by the 3rd crank it starts up. and runs fine. It was 20 degrees the night i drive it and there was white smoke comming out but i didnt know if it was the headgasket leaking, cus the guy said it justed started to leak into the cylinders. but honestly it pulls fine. no missing. do you know of any tests i can do?

Last edited by mondo9psi; 01-27-2009 at 09:14. Reason: idk
mondo9psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:01   #5 (permalink)

The motor will have to be pressure tested in the cylinders. look for bubbles in the rad
tank. I dought your hard starting has anything to do with the heads. your fuel filter is
probably plugged. You will need to have your exhaust gas sampled to see if there is
excessive water or anti freeze in it. You will see it on your spark plugs if you have an anti freeze leak. A motor will not necessarily miss on a very small anti freeze leak.
The bottom line is if your sure there is an anti freeze leak the motor will have to come apart.
chipset is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum