91 T-bird turn signals out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 15:33   #1 (permalink)

91 T-bird turn signals out

New guy here, got referred here from the Powerstroke.org site where I usually hang out.

My 16 year old just bought a 91 T-bird 3.8L for $700, We are in the process of changing all the fluids and filters and fixing everything we can find wrong. My main question is about the turn signals, they don’t work. The E-flasher works and all 4 lights flash with it but the regular turn signal handle on the steering column doesn’t do anything. Anyone got any ideas where to start or what is the likely culprit?
Any other advice on this vehicle?
alabamafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 91 T-bird turn signals out

I would suspect the 'multi function switch', which is the turn signal switch on the steering column.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 17:25   #3 (permalink)

I think I figured it out, I found a fairly large black plastic module mounted near the gas pedal that was clicking with the flashers on. When I removed it from its mounting the blinkers started working. I can wiggle the wiring plug that goes to it and the blinkers stop and start working as I wiggle it, apparently there is a bad connection at or in it. The thing that threw me off was the flasher the parts store gave me was small and round. Anyways, I think I got the blinker thing figured out. I’m still open to any other advice about this car.
alabamafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 22:03   #4 (permalink)

that black box is your problem.i picked one up at a local junk yard for five bucks.it took me a while to figure out the problem so glad u found it quickly.the guys at the auto parts store gave me the same thing they gave u.As far as Thunderbirds/Couars.The 3.8 V6 are notorious for their head gasket problems.I had a 1990 Cougar.Mine blew twice in three years.I now own a 97 T-Bird 4.6 V8.No problems with the head gaskets.It should be a pretty good car.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum