93 to 95 T-bird Transmission - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 00:32   #1 (permalink)

93 to 95 T-bird Transmission

Hello All, new to the board.

I have a 1993 Thunderbird LX with an Automatic 4 Speed Transmission, where you shift into the Over-Drive option.

I also have a 1995 Thunderbird LX with an Automatic 4 Speed Transmission, but this one, you hit a button on the side of the Shifter for the Over-Drive Option.

My question is, Can I put '93 into the '95? Where the only difference would be the button on the side doesn't work? The tranny in my '95 went out and a buddy here in town had the '93 and gave it to me for free so I could part it out, but now I'm not sure if it will work.

Thanks in Advance.
Tbird9395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2006, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Re: 93 to 95 T-bird Transmission

well, a big difference would be the shifter's position. if you put it in, which should work and fit fine, then you will still have the position of the overdrive like on the 93. but it would show on the 2, or something along those lines. you would have to replace the console part with the letters and numbers for the shift position as well.

as far as it fitting and how it would run, i think it would work fine, the LX should have a 3.8L V6. if the 95 has the same, then i dont see why not.
Old 07-16-2006, 23:11   #3 (permalink)

thats what I was thinking.

the 93 had the 3.8 v6, the 95 has a 4.6L v8 but both or LX's.

They are both 4 Speed Automatics, just different style over-drives. I suppose I'll be finding out how good they fit in one another in the next week or so....
Old 07-17-2006, 05:57   #4 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird9395
the 93 had the 3.8 v6, the 95 has a 4.6L v8 but both or LX's.
well see thats the big problem here, just because they are both lx's and that theyre both 4-speed autos, doesnt mean that it would fit. remember, it has to fit the engine, not just teh chassis. thats where i think you would run into a problem. if you can, just compare the size of the opening of the transmissions that connect to the engine and housing and such. if its the same, then i say go for it, if not, then idk.
Old 07-18-2006, 13:15   #5 (permalink)

Well either way I am pulling it, but I will try to compare them.

I am working on it right now and its a pain.
I am white but you couldn't tell by looking at my hands and arms.
Between Grease, Rust, and lack of room due to crappy jack stands I am have my hands full LOL
Old 07-18-2006, 19:28   #6 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

hahaha, yeah, it is a pain to pull trannys
Old 07-23-2006, 21:10   #7 (permalink)

hope this works for you and i am really interested in knowing as I have a feeling i will be tranny shopping in the next year. My 94 has 170,000 is in really good shape well for the most part but when going from park to a gear there is a hesitation before it goes into gear and that seems to be getting longer in duration. Good luck with your project
94tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 18:17   #8 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

well, for 94tbird, you should try just putting some new transmission fluid in it, drain it completely, and then fill it with new stuff, that should do fine for a while. mine had the same thing, and its great now, with 160k on it
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57   #9 (permalink)

94tbird, thats what mine did when it first started, then it went to just plain not working.

Atleast yours made it to 170k before it went out, mine went at 100k :(
Old 12-17-2006, 08:38   #10 (permalink)

Question Re: 93 to 95 T-bird Transmission

I hope someone still responds to his thread.
I have a 94 thunderbird and an auto transmission, but I need a manual one and thunderbird doesn't have one so I might need to get one of a 96 to 2001 mustang. I just need to know If it will fit and if not, what will fit?
Thanks
kriogenx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum