93 t-bird 3.8L v6 engine abnormalities - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Dark Lord of the T-bird

93 t-bird 3.8L v6 engine abnormalities

i have noticed that my engine when i rev it then release the accelerator the engine sputters all the way back to a low rpm. is this normal because iv never heard any other of my cars do it before. also the engine takes a very abnormal amount of time to heat up to normal operating temperature even back when it was warm out (about 30 min on a reasonably warm day, 45- an hour when it's cold, that is from start up before i start driving) even when i start driving right away it still takes up to 25 min sometimes. also sometimes my transmission will not engage into park: it will not engage into park from reverse unless i cycle throught the gears down to drive then force it all the way to park (this worries me as i dont want my car to roll if the tranny does not engage or if it jumps out of gear) all of this is weird considering the car only has 140,000 km. if someone could provide some theories or answers to what is responsible for all of this then it would be much obliged. BTW the car is 93 lx 3.8L OHV V6 non supercharged, 4-speed AOD transmission.
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 21:48   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 93 t-bird 3.8L v6 engine abnormalities

I can't say about the sputtering, but you could try this and see what comes up. Fuel Injection Technical Library � How To Run a Self-Test

The slow heating is probably the thermostst not closing completely. I'd replace it and see if that fixes it.

The trans shift could be the bolts that hold the linkage at the bottom of the steering column. Could also be a bushing worn.
Old 12-02-2011, 20:45   #3 (permalink)
Dark Lord of the T-bird

ok thanks ill be sure to replace the thermostat (was going to get a rad flush and replace a few leaky hoses anyway), when it is on the hoist i will check all those bolts and the bushings, would i be able to do that test if i had an OBD 1 scanner? or do i need to do it this way to get the codes?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:28   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you have a scanner that pulls codes on the older Fords, you'll be okay with that.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum