93 Thunderbird - Automatic seatbelt problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 10:14   #1 (permalink)

Question 93 Thunderbird - Automatic seatbelt problems

My driver side automatic seatbelt is driving me nuts. This has been a problem for a couple years now. For the past two years, every winter my automatic seatbelt stayed forward when I got into the car and the warning bell dinged away. But when I opened the door and then slammed it closed, it would go back and the dinging would stop. When the weather warms up, I don't have any more problems. But now that it's getting cold again, slamming does nothing and now I have a door ajar light on even though my door is definitely closed. I have a friend who is great with working on cars, but I need help with any ideas of what my problem could be. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Guest05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 11:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: 93 Thunderbird - Automatic seatbelt problems

It sounds like your door sensor is shot. It's just a pin that sticks out somewhere in your door frame that gets pushed in when the door is shut. It's spring-activated and some times, the sensor will go out, locking the seatbelt forward or back. Find the sensor and replace it- should correct your problem. You may even be able to remove it, clean it with a can of QA1 Electronics Cleaner and slap it back on there- that might work and I imagine it'd be cheaper than your door sensor.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 13:57   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: 93 Thunderbird - Automatic seatbelt problems

Well we replaced the sensor and no good. It still doesn't work. Any other suggestions? :)
Old 10-21-2005, 20:44   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest05
Well we replaced the sensor and no good. It still doesn't work. Any other suggestions? :)
*bump*
Old 12-20-2005, 18:31   #5 (permalink)
CaR bUfF pRoDiGy

i have the same problem in my 93 T-Bird SC....i replaced the door hinges and the sensor(just to be safe), and it works fine now. the hinges become slightly bent after a period of time because of the 93's doors being so big and heavy. JEG's sells a kit that you can install yourself that replaces the hinge for both doors and wont bend. the door closes nice and smooth and no dinging problem.

it worked for me, it sounds like youve got the same problem because you haev to "SLAM" the door to get it to stop, which generally means the hinges are bent.cheap and easy to fix. like i said u can do it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum