94' t-bird sc rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51   #1 (permalink)

94' t-bird sc rebuild

ok heres the deal, just bought a 94 super coupe 3.8 L. the drive belt broke and ripped the top of the rad off. the guy didnt shut her down for some time i would say and burt a couple of pistons and toasted the heads. so i bought it for probley too much but any ways the motor has been completly tore down and im looking at a complete rebuild.it did come with a set of rebuilt heads. the crank and cam seam to be fine but i will still have them looked at by a pro( mach shop). my question is what should i have done,or what changes should be made if any to avoid failure of any known problems the motor has from the factory and as far as up grades go more hp would be great but relability is still a big deal i dont want to pump it up and not be able to drive it every day cause its not reliable if you know what i mean. so thats where its at and i'm getting ready to start the rebuild and sure could use some good advice. its going to be one of the brightest motors around for sure considering every thing thats aluminum is polished like chrome im talkin everything i've probley got 40 or 50 hours just in polishing so im in no rush just want it right so please only possitive and expert advise wanted. it will be my V-8 killer so to speek. Thanks and hope to get good feed back on this project.
kjgarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 10:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94' t-bird sc rebuild

Just make sure you have the proper heads for it. Regular 3.8 heads and S.C. heads are
not the same. Unfortunatly the SHO Taurus EATS super coupes and 5lt mustangs.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Just make sure you have the proper heads for it. Regular 3.8 heads and S.C. heads are
It won't eat mine, fortunately.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:24   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
WOW thought i would get a little more help on some recomended up grades or possible inturnal mods that should be done ? thank you on your advice "make sure you have the proper heads" no disrespect, its a start. Any one else? i'll go check the blinker fluid & muffler bearings too. sorry i could'nt help my self forgive me i'm new here not new,new,new well you know, again tyyou've been helpful.
kjgarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:13   #5 (permalink)

So what did you expect ? There are no recommended up grades or internal mods. To be
made. It's entirely up to you and how much money you want to spend. Remember it is a
V6 super charged motor. Most of the recommended mods. are already made for you.
There are many rebuilders that will never do to an engine that other rebuilders would do.
There are a lot of add ons and parts that are a complete waste of money. We cannot
see your engine and have no idea of what you want to do with it. Every engine has it's
limits. There is only so much you can do with a V6 or a small block. You can also over
build an engine and rip out the transmission if it isn't also built up. The best advice anyone can give is get some engine rebuild books or talk to rebuilders and find out what
you can and shouldn't do to your engine and what will be a complete waste of money.
Just an FYI. If you put on a set of regular 3.8 heads on a super charged 3.8 engine you
will blow the bottom end right out through the oil pan. Regular heads are 9.4 to 1.
S.C. heads are 8 to1 .Plus they will not fit.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Hey kjgarbell

Maybe you should consider paying a visit to this website. I'm sure Bill can point you in the right direction too over the phone.

www.supercoupeperformance.com
Old 11-17-2010, 23:42   #7 (permalink)

Want more SC help? Go to SCCOA.COM it is a site that is dedicated to the SC/XR7.
Make sure the block is done right.
Heads: MUST BE SC! If you have the money, get them ported.
1.73:1 roller rockers
H-Beam rods.
If you get the crank done, make sure the journals are radiased correctly.
The crank is a balanced STEEL unit.
There are aftermarket cams available (just a few)
Rebuild/Port the blower/TB/Plenum etc.
BHJ balancer
Bigger TB/MAF/Injectors
Get a Moates Quaterhorse and new tune
Better exhaust system.
Good Luck, I've got a '93 engine that I need to rebuild (but I have a spare ready to go), I'm doing a M5R2 to T56 swap in the '93.
But my Super Duty just popped something in the head tonight on the way home. Now I have to look at that.
MikeH
talonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum