95 T-Bird Limited Slip Grinding - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Thunderbird Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Thunderbird.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:37   #1 (permalink)

confused 95 T-Bird Limited Slip Grinding

The rear end first started slipping one day I tried to go up a real steep driveway with a gutter in front of it. It got hung up on the gutter and just wouldn't go, you could tell it was the rear end slipping. Now it does a couple of things, right after it shifts into higher gear, the rear end will slip and also grind. If I immediatly let off the gas and resume accelerating it will stop. Also, there is a slight stutter in the drive train. It would seem like it's coming from the tranny, but I'm hoping it may be caused by whatever is plaguing the rear end. But I haven't noticed any stuttering as the problems with the rearend have worsened; it used to only slip after 3rd, now it does it after 2nd on up. Also, this may be normal, but the damn thing fishtailed on me at 65mph on a wet road. I wasn't getting on it, just accelerating mildly to pass.

I'm hoping someone has seen this before and can tell what I need to have fixed. I was planning on having some adjustments done to the gears anyway, to give it a little more torque. And If I can get it done for a good price, I was thinking about finding a used rear end with disk brakes and refurbishing it. I currently have drums on the rear. Let me know if that makes good sense. By the way, I replaced all the brake components about a year ago, so I don't think that's the issue.Thanks for any help.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 12:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: 95 T-Bird Limited Slip Grinding

Thanks for the help anyway
Old 04-26-2009, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

Well you have to considerate our cars weight-tourqe ratio. Its a considerably heavy car with no traction control like on the new cars. With new tires, mine fishtails pretty easily on anything thats not pavment. Or if the road is wet.

Pretty fun in a big open field hehe

But from what you discribed it seems like your transmission is slipping.
When it happens, does it act like its in neutral or does it feel like your tapping the breaks?
Old 04-27-2009, 15:24   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. To your question as to what it feel like when it grinds: I would say it feels like it's in neutral. But I can feel it trying to grab. If I let off the gas, it stops. And while it's slipping, I can feel vibration like I'm riding on rumble strips.

The tranny does jerk or shimmy on rare occasions. But the grinding really feels and sounds like it's coming from the rearend. I wonder if the connecting gear (spline gear?) on one of the axleshafts is worn. And the u joint looks alright and doesn't have any play.
Old 04-27-2009, 17:12   #5 (permalink)
Performance...all the way

kinda sounds like a few of your gears are worn out. When it acts-up, does your RPMs rev up? When its not sliping, do you hear a whine while driving?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i would pull out the filler plug to make sure you can refill if necessary and pop the rearend cover plate. after pulling the cover off, check the gears for how bad they are worn. i would also check the U-joints for wear and see if they might be going bad also. could also be that the back brakes might need cleaned up and dragging too... there are a few things that could be wrong back there... just need to pull things apart and start inspecting.

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Thunderbird Forum